SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Baader Scopos Extreme 35mm - advice please

Hi... Apologies, I did ask this question elsewhere on SGL but I haven't had an answer so thought I would re-post it on the EP-specific forum (hope that doesn't break any rules!):

I'm interested in a low-power EP (ie 30-38mm) for my f4.9 300mm Flextube, but I know that scope is unforgiving of eyepieces. Price is a factor for me.

There is a 2" Baader Scopos 35mm for sale on SGL ... But does anyone know if that (quite huge) EP would be ok with an f4.9 Dob viewing-wise?

Thanks in advance, Julian

I remember looking at these a while back when I was in the hunt for my first widefield/finder EP and the general lack of detailed feedback (good or bad) from experienced users left me wondering why there wasn't more fuss given the price and specs. I actually handled one at IAS at the weekend (whilst talking to MR. Baader about his twist lock adaptors) and it is one heck of a lump for a cheap 35mm EP. Build was good, if not eye popping.

What I do also seem to recall, is that the same basic EP can be bought under more than one brand, so I wonder if it's actually a Baader design.

As you already have the Maxvision 24mm SWA, have you had a look at the 34mm? that works well in my ES 305 Dob, although as with all long FL EPs I've had, Coma is the dominant aberration.

Russell

I believe the Scopos was the predecessor to the Baader Aspheric 2" eyepieces but the weight and size came down somewhat when the Aspehrics were designed. I currently have a 31mm Aspheric and it's a nice eyepiece but it does show outer field astigmatism with my 12" F/5.3 dob.

From what I've read on other forums I believe the 35mm Scopos was a better performer than the 30mm one with it's main issue being its sheer size and weight which can cause balance problems. It's performance in F/5 scopes was reported as being pretty good for it's cost if the weight and size can be accommodated.

It was also marketed as the Orion (USA) Stratus. 

With your F/4.9 scope the exit pupil will be a bit over 7mm so if you have any light pollution to contend with the background sky will be grey rather than black.

Thanks both. I also looked for online preferences and found very little info beyond a Cloudy Nights review a couple of years ago (with the comment that the 35mm was better than the 30mm).

Robin Wilkey commented that the exit pupil would be significant, so I'm going cold on it.

Russell, I am now thinking about the 34mm Maxvision (you pointed out in the other thread I started that the MV 28mm would be too close to my existing 24mm to notice a difference). So as long as the 34/35mm class EPs will be ok with the Flextube I might go for that one (it's a birthday present).

Archived