Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

I.A.S 2014 Summary

A summary of my experience at the International Astronomy Show 2014

This was my first attendance at this show as I missed its debut last year. Living only 4 miles from the venue was a big plus for me :) The venue was (IMO) the perfect size for the crowds that turned up and the suppliers exhibiting their equipment. The one criticism I did have was the fact that the lectures were given in a marquee that had been tagged on to the side of the venue building. As the marquee was white-when the sun shone brightly it affected the visibility of the projected presentation-sometimes to the point of not actually being able to see anything at all! I am sure none felt this more than poor Pete Lawrence who had put a lot of work into creating detailed star charts to talk us through the summer sights only for the sun to be shining through the roof and almost obscuring his slides completely :( I really felt for him as he mentioned that he creates the star charts from scratch, such a shame.

So I attended on both days with my dad in tow. Saturday I arrived at 9ish and met up with James (JamboUK) and we wandered around the stands looking at all the things we couldn't afford!

Then we were ready for our first lecture which was delivered by Will Gater. This lecture was very interesting and consisted of him talking about Exo-planets, their discovery methods and statistics and different characteristics of the different types and definitions of habitable zones and how this area of research is progressing and what it means moving forwards. I found the subject matter to be pitched at a very good level and he explained things very well and I found it really informative.

Next up we attended the Lecture on the how’s and whys of image calibration by Kevin Nelson fro QSI. Now must admit whilst it was interesting to learn about the way in which CCD chips are built the rest of the lecture discussing the maths behind image calibration was way too advanced for me!! It was completely over my head but I am sure to those well versed in the dark arts and more skilled tha my meagre planetary efforts it was really good! He was a nice guy and presented well and clearly knew his stuff.

After this we had Pete Lawrence talk us through summer observing. This was a great lecture but (as I mentioned above) was hampered a litle by the sun affecting the slides visibility. However he presented brilliantly and was really enthusiastic and covered some of the summer sights in detail and talked us through the events to look out for over the coming year. It was really informative and really inspiring-made me want to get out and get observing. Both Pete and Mark very kindly agreed to me having a picture with them-Really nice guys the both of them :)

14188558638_e3d8cc0e70_o.jpg
Me, Mark & Pete by Gattouomo161, on Flickr

I asked a question of Pete after his lecture regarding the occultation of Saturn by the moon in August this year

14375173985_90bef7ee94_o.jpg
Me asking Pete a Question by Gattouomo161, on Flickr

The final lecture of the day on Saturday for us was delivered by Mark Thompson and it was great. It was entitled "Yeah Yeah Yeah, I've seen that........." The slant he took was one of not just ticking off objects once you've seen them but really observing them in detail. He spoke extensively about planetary observing and what types of filters to use for which planets and what details they were each best at showing. He then spoke about how we amateur astronomers can help contribute to real science by recording our observations and also images and sending them in to organisations such as Society for Popular Astronomy and the British Astronomical Association. It was a really interesting talk and again really motivating. In fact I went to the BAA stand and joined and spoke at length about planetary imaging and showed them some of mine and they said they'd very much look forward to me sending them in with details of the dates, conditions and image details etc. So I will do that at some point I think would be nice to think I might contribute to planetary science with my images/reports.

14188610150_5711e5fe85_o.jpg
Mark & Pete by Gattouomo161, on Flickr

The last lecture we attended was today and was delivered by Dr. Lucie Green on Solar Max. The first thing I noticed was how enthusiastic she was. Her passion for solar physics was infectious. It made me want to get a Lunt H-alpha scope and start mapping sun spots on a regular basis! If only I had the cash! Although I did speak with Grant at FLO's stand on the advice from a Mod from SGL (I forget his name now-sorry) and Lunt are bringing out a 50mm H-Alpha scope with various accessories for £895 which is extremely tempting! Anyway back to Dr. Greens lecture! She spoke about the history of solar cycles and what they tell us and how we can predict when solar max will be based upon the last 400 years of observations. She also discussed the ramifications to our technology of large solar events such as massive CME's etc. It was a really interesting talk and I thoroughly enjoyed it :) After the lecture I got to speak to her and thanked her for a really informative lecture and she kindly agreed to a selfie with me :D

14374241274_9109558eed_o.jpg
Me & Dr. Lucie Green by Gattouomo161, on Flickr

Whilst not in the lectures I wandered around the stalls and spoke to Dion over on the modern astronomy stand about the EQ6 Pro Wedge. I resisted the urge to buy one but I imagine I may cave at some point! Dion is a thoroughly nice bloke and I thanked him for his website and amazingly helpful tutorial videos. It was great meeting him and chatting about the mount and the wedge product and he kindly let me have a photo with him :)

14374240984_9bb0a5cf47_o.jpg
Me & Dion by Gattouomo161, on Flickr

Whilst wandering I also bumped into Peter Shah and Nik Symanek at Nik's stand and we chatted about Nik's setup and location from where he images being quite light polluted and his resulting awesome images despite this. Nik commented that "we're not all blessed wit dark skies like some" nodding towards Peter :) One crazy coincidence that arose was that Nik went to school with one of my very good skydiving buddies who had text me earlier in the day saying that he knew Nik from way back and to say hi. I thought my friend was joking and asked Nik if he knew him and he said "yeah we went to school together" so, story confirmed! Peter and I had a lengthy chat about his setup and his imaging rig and the terrible astro weather we've had recently. We also chatted about skydiving too which was great to find another astronomer who has also skydived recreationally. Peter was an absolute wealth of information not only about imaging but also telescope construction. We of course spoke about Peter's son's "first scope" the F10.8 Newt that Peter built especially for him and how it performs on the planets etc. Both Nik and Peter were absolutley fantastic to speak to and genuinely lovely guys. Thanks for your time Peter/Nik :)

14373724722_8ced1eb394_o.jpg
Me & Nik by Gattouomo161, on Flickr

14375174125_e85fdfd8fa_o.jpg
Me & Peter Shah by Gattouomo161, on Flickr

Just after the solar lecture from Dr. Lucie Green I had another look around the stands and was at the Altair astro stand admiring their awesome new tripod and so was Mark Thompson! So we had a chat about the tripod initially then turned to planetary imaging as told him I signed up at the BAA stand after hearing his lecture and he said my mars image from back in April was awesome! I was over the moon (pun intended) at this appraisal! Nick from Altair Astro then said "so you're a planetary guy?" and proceeded to show me (and Mark) a dedicated planetary scope that I have now fallen in love with; the Planeta 250 Truss Tube Cassegrain, native F18! It was a thing of beauty! A snip at only (just under) 4 grand! However I have now made it my mission I will save up and get that-just need an observatory now to put it in!

There was some stunning equipment on display:

14375172655_a4c4181d52_o.jpg
The 152 Lunt by Gattouomo161, on Flickr

14375173125_5694175e63_o.jpg
Silver Cannons by Gattouomo161, on Flickr

There were also some stunners in attendance!! :D

14371849521_305975e585_o.jpg
Me & Alan by Gattouomo161, on Flickr

14188538279_e4b39b6d22_o.jpg
James Cray-Cray by Gattouomo161, on Flickr

14373725742_a2f20225ae_o.jpg
Dad & James by Gattouomo161, on Flickr

All in all I had a great time at the show and it was great to see James and Alan and Paul too :) I will most certainly be going again next year.

Concerning the lectures it is likely the best they could do, at least at this time.

Last year, the 1st one, they were held in some small rooms outside the main building and very few people could actually get in.

So this year it seems they have added a couple of marquees in which to hold them, at least a greater number of people can then get to them. Not sure they can do a great deal in addition, however last year the number that could get in to a talk was somewhat restricted, so things are going the right direction.

It was a great event and really nice to chat with you Felix

It was a great weekend , was lively to meet you too Pete and thanks for chatting with me :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It was good to meet you and chat over the merits of the Lunt H.alpha scopes.

Sorry I couldn't remember your username. Yes likewise. I went and spoke to grant from FLO about the 50mm Lunt-very tempting indeed :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think anyone could be forgiven for overlooking the possibility that the Sun would come out, judging by what I have been reading of the UK weather of late. Lets hope thay put it right for next time, no doubt then the tent will leak.

Looks like it is a very good show, I wish I had gone last year when I had a chance.

On the Saturday morning there was torrential rain - so much so the speakers could not be heard above the sound of it even with the PA. Though I don't think the tent leaked...

Other events seem to manage a dark tent (e.g. Cheltenham Science Festival) - but they seem to have a double tent, with no doubt black out material. I expect it's a question of what you pay for...

/callump

• 2 weeks later...

A little late to this party but the IAS '14 was my first ever astro event and I'd just like to add my impressions.   Oh dear me ... the speakers were polished professionals, the marquee was woeful.  I also kind of object to the pay per view for each talk especially as it was literally a talk, with no visual aids worth mentioning, unless in a manner of ridicule.  Don't get me wrong, I loved the one talk I attended but there was zero chance of paying again to hear another talk where the speakers in an embarrassed fashion described yet another slide one could not hope to see whilst being deafened by the bird scarer.

The other overriding impression I got was that the vendors were hardly chasing our cash.  Don't get me wrong, they were all informative and pleasant but let's be honest in terms of purchases, astronomy is a pure luxury expenditure.  Vendors, please, you are not doing me a favour selling me a good, it is I choosing how to distribute limited resources that does you the favour of spending with you, one of your competitors or indeed on something entirely different.

That said , would I go again, maybe.

Archived