Narrowband

I must have seen the ISS

JulianFR

I must admit I've never seen the ISS go over, though I know it is very bright.... I've just never looked out for it. 

Tonight (Saturday night) when I was observing at 11.55 a very bright, fast light went over Marlborough East-Went, roughly in the direction of Heathrow.

I managed to pick it up in the Mak and track it manually from just beyond the zenith down towards the eastern horizon, though it was getting dimmer.

In the eyepiece (15mm) there was a definite elongated bright shape, roughly like an 'H'. 

I haven't checked on the ISS's scheduled appearances yet but imagine that must have it. In which case it was much brighter and faster than I would have imagined and really quite spectacular. 

Thanks all... I have no excuse for not knowing when it's passing over... I follow a couple of alerts  on Twitter, but I've just never made the effort to rush out and watch it. I will do now and will also check out the links you've included.

Tonight (10th June 0:52 cet) I finally managed to track ISS with the 8" scope at 60x.  

Tracked it manually for maybe 50 seconds. 

Awesome sight naked eye also, appearing just before it passed below Mars and then rising and passing over  Moon and Saturn.

Bright night up here, but cant recall a warmer start of June, excellent for Saturn and lunar observations, and , well, thats about what is possible to see up there..

Rune

Pondus... It was being able to follow the ISS in my Mak 127 the other night that gave me a real thrill... Brilliant to be able to see the tiny, bright H shape.

Isn't it permanent daytime up there with you at the moment?

I still find it amazing that five hundred years ago we were just coming to terms with not being the center of the solar system; and tonight we can go into our back gardens, look up at the sky and see a space station with real human beings we put up into space, who are probably eating their dinner our of a toothpaste tube and looking down at us. Just amazing.

I use Stellarium for checking for the ISS. If you select the satellite box and then fast forward it is amazing watching all the satellites whizzing about and thinking of what is up there. I've not managed to catch the ISS in an eyepiece yet so will be trying that next chance I get. I agree that thinking about what it is that you are looking at makes it more awe inspiring.

I must admit I've never seen the ISS go over, though I know it is very bright.... I've just never looked out for it. 

Tonight (Saturday night) when I was observing at 11.55 a very bright, fast light went over Marlborough East-Went, roughly in the direction of Heathrow.

I managed to pick it up in the Mak and track it manually from just beyond the zenith down towards the eastern horizon, though it was getting dimmer.

In the eyepiece (15mm) there was a definite elongated bright shape, roughly like an 'H'. 

I haven't checked on the ISS's scheduled appearances yet but imagine that must have it. In which case it was much brighter and faster than I would have imagined and really quite spectacular. 

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/218318-accidental-satellite-observing-or-something-else/

Lot's of very good apps got suggested to me in this app for tracking the ISS and other satellites - definitely an awesome sight even with the naked eye, I can't wait to locate it with the telescope!!!

Archived