Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Visited the Astronomy Show Today - Saturday 7th June.

Pig

I had a good five hours at the show today.

I started off with e 10am talk and found the subject very interesting, Will Gater was the speaker. The explanations on  how exoplanets are discovered and analysed was a very interesting part. It is quite amazing just how many planets have been discovered during the recent/present time.

I met Steve and Grant from FLO and stole a couple of Jaffa's from the plate. I also got to see the surprise FLO had been working on, which I must add is excellent :shocked: and I am not going to mention it :evil: you will have to wait until you get there. 

I made 2 purchases:

• A 6mm vixen SLV
  • A steak and kidney pie with new potatoes and mixed veg :grin: Mmm Mmmm Mmmmmmm

Some great scopes on display again today and I thoroughly enjoyed my few hours wandering around all the displays.

The Largest scope I saw today was this monster of a Dob :smiley:

post-27910-0-97478600-1402154268.jpg

I went and had a look at the Lunt stand, sadly no 50mm there today to report back on, but there was this one

post-27910-0-99342000-1402154352.jpg

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I got my eyepiece for £90 instead of £109.(I had to barter)

I didn't really see any discounts advertised, but in all honesty I wasn't there to buy a lot so I didn't ask. :smiley:

I was there this afternoon for 2 or 3 hours, my first Astro show. Just went into the exhibition to wander around.

To answer an earlier posters' question, yes, there are discounts on offer, they seem to average around 10% which is worthwhile. Also, some real scope bargains on demonstrators, including an APM Apo with £600 off and and Istar Isteria 5" F12 R30 on Peak2Valley's stand at well under £1400 for a high class refractor.

High points:

• Great selection of gear of all  types and prices
  • Lots of people milling around, a real buzz to the event
  • I bought a new Televue Plossl from Green Witch for £99, a good price for this premium (and in my view, best of the range) plossl.
  • I bought a new Revelation x2 2" ED Barlow from Telescope House for £29 and change - an amazing price for such an optically great piece of kit. I sold one not long ago and regretted it. 

Low Points:

• I couldn't afford an APM 5" Apo refractor ("the best 5" refractor in the world") apparently.
  • I couldn't afford an APM 5" Apo refractor
  • I couldn't afford an APM 5" Apo refractor

A great way to spend a few hours. Take your plastic with you. But not your wife! :evil:  :evil:  :evil:

Pity we didn't see you there Pig. We had a solar meet up at 12 o'clock. Came away with an ASI120mm, about 10% off. Lots of nice scopes, I have my eye on a 10" truss tube RC, nice.

Robin

Superb show, lots of interesting stuff, discounts could have been higher, but did pick up a couple of meade 5K's for £25 each (well spotted Cotterless), one brand new the other used but fine.

Highlights of the show, apart from the chance to catch up with old friends, was the skylight refractor mentioned on SGL earlier in the week,........and the 20 ODK on the orion optics stand. Great deal on the 16" revelation at £1039. The big Lunt and the bresser display was great with some really nice scopes in the £500-£1000 bracket.

I was hoping to meet a few of you guys but I didn't know there was a meet up, there's always next time :smiley:

I walked around all on my own and I was very lonely :grin:

I walked around all on my own and I was very happy ;)

I've been today myself and got back couple of hours ago.  Spent a few hours wandering about like a kid in a sweet shop.  Although I love my Mrs and my lad greatly, not having to think about anything other than me, the telescopes and the wallet is pretty cool ;)

Put a few faces to names on the stalls too which was also cool.

Bit of a trek from sunny Stoke-on-Trent, but well worth it and a lot closer than London, so will probably be going every year now. I went last year on the Saturday but today seemed slightly quieter so it was easier to chat to folks and get some advice on stuff.

I saw quite a few 10% and the odd 20% discounts, but resisted the urge.  I got an IAS Show T shirt and a DSLR piggyback bracket.  Next year, I shall be selling my house and purchasing a shed to live in before I go, so I may afford one of those Moonrakers and also one of those lovely Bressers.

Sigh :)

I should have said, the TV Plossl I bought was the 32mm...normally £120. I know some of the other focal lengths are quite a bit cheaper, but the 32mm is a wonderful eyepiece of it's type :-)

I got to the show when the doors opened this morning and had a good day wandering round looking at all the stalls. Did not go to any of the lectures, but listened to an interesting talk about 'Bias, Dark & Flat frames. Never tried doing Flat frames, might try to find the slides for the talk to remind myself what was said about how to take them (think he had some sort of home made light box?).

Ended up with just two purchases; a set of astrogloves (my hands were freezing in winter) and a camera :)

NB very nice bacon butty

Went today and had a great time. Met Grant on the FLO Stand and had a Jaffa Cake and a look through the vixen bins ( Very immersive  - need to save up for these).  Went to the Kevin Nelson of QSI's  presentation at the Ian King stand  . Very good presentation about Darks, flats and bias (Guessing DaveDownSouth and I were in the same show).  Pasty Chips and beans in the restaurant.    Totally gobsmacked at the 10Micron 2000HPS at the IKI stand!!! Waving around a huge telescope as if it was nothing at phenomenal speed and almost silently!!! (Note to self - enter lottery).  Saw the new WO Star 71 and new SW portable mount at the widescreen centre. Saw a few Celebs wandering around in-between their shows.

On the way out had an ice-cream and off home in  the car.

Cracking day - definitely going back next year.

Archived