SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Leaving kit outside

I tend to bring mine in after each session. as above, theft, rust, mould, animals moving in, damage due to windy conditions etc. Personally, I cannot see the issue with bring in other than a little forward planning if you have a large scope (for cooldown). Or of course a smaller scope! e.g. I have a 16" dob which gets used only at star parties or days when I have time to leave it out for a good couple of hours before use.I also have a 130mm newt that I can use within seconds (although in truth I often do that at low power with my 12" scope too).

mine has been set up in my garden for over 2 months
its covered by a tent when not being used, and if its dry I take the covers off
and let it air

good thing is I never have a cool down period and my alignment is pretty much sorted

I spray it every couple of weeks with WD40 on any exposed metal to stop rust

I would not leave the OTA outside but the rest should be pretty robust - but it depends how well they are made. Stainless steel and anodised alloy will shrug off the elements if suitably protected with a cover, and electrical components and especially their connections are treated with an anti-corrosive (ACF50 is my favourite for this job). If there are any standard steel components they may well rust. To prevent theft I use security bolts to attach to a permanent pier, no way is the mount coming off without the correct key.

ChrisH

Here in the southern states (US), you have to REALLY seal up your scope if you're going to leave it outside. There's a lot of flying critters and "bug things" during the summer and they like to crawl into small places and reproduce and all that.

It's not that big of a deal...I just use painter's tape to seal the plastic bag around the scope. (that kind of tape is cheap and comes off in a jiffy)   :)  

Thanks for replies. So an occasional 48 hour outside setup is fine, malignant human theivery aside. I was more considering leaving something setup on a camping trip type than a perma setup at home. I'm not quite that lazy yet.

Archived