Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

stargazine_ep29_banner.thumb.jpg.da7f3b163f7bd35187cb558b0346baf6.jpg

Hello everyone!

I have recently been thinking about the possibility of having my camera modified for astrophotography, but know very little about the subject, and have a good few questions:

1. How much would I gain from this process? As far as I know, the effects of removing IR-Block filters, considerably improves the imaging of H-Alpha objects, but by how much?
  2. Roughly how much would this process cost me? 
  3. How unusable would the camera then become for terrestrial photography? From what I know, it is bad, but editing can improve the situation.
  4. If I decided to get my camera modded, where would be a good place to get it done?

I don't know much about it, but from what I have heard, it can very a very useful process.

Thanks for your help

David

it all depends on the level of "Modding" you go for
you can have the IR replaced with a Baader filter, this allows the camera to be used in daytime by using a custom white balance

http://cheapastrophotography.vpweb.co.uk/Low-Pass-Filter-Replacement.html

try that site, I know from personal experience they are very good
I bought my modded camera from them as have lots of others on this site, the replacement filter service costs about £90

but more info on the site that will answer your questions

My modded 600D came from Cheapastro, i never went for the Baader filter, the camera can still be used for normal photography by changing the B and G settings, all this is explained in a E-mail from Juan, very good Company to have the work done by......

Hello everyone!

I have recently been thinking about the possibility of having my camera modified for astrophotography, but know very little about the subject, and have a good few questions:

1. How much would I gain from this process? As far as I know, the effects of removing IR-Block filters, considerably improves the imaging of H-Alpha objects, but by how much?
  2. Roughly how much would this process cost me? 
  3. How unusable would the camera then become for terrestrial photography? From what I know, it is bad, but editing can improve the situation.
  4. If I decided to get my camera modded, where would be a good place to get it done?

I don't know much about it, but from what I have heard, it can very a very useful process.

Thanks for your help

David

You gain around 40~50% of increase in sensitivity in the red region of the spectrum in particular in HII region. This is where most of the emission of the popular targets such as the M42 the Orion nebula and likes takes place . Contrary to popular belief there is no appreciable increase in sensitivity in the Green or Blue regions. Depending on the type of Mod you may or maynot be able to use the camera for daytime photography. The link in the previous post is a very good place to start looking at prices and options. You should also consider if buying a modded camera dedicated to astrophotograpy could be an option so you could keep one for daytime photography .

A.G

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By darkenergystar37
      Hello there,
      I'm trying to reignite my interest in astronomy after a few years off.  I want to get into imaging (not in an expensive way) beginning with a simple setup.  A few nights ago I was in my back garden with my Sky-Watcher Heritage-76 Mini Dobsonian and Canon EOS M camera connected to an eyepiece adapter (this one.. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Celestron-93640-Universal-Barlow-T-Adaptor/dp/B00009X3UV/ref=asc_df_B00009X3UV/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=309904628344&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=9227521492625195769&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9045736&hvtargid=pla-403917112227&psc=1&th=1&psc=1).  I pointed my scope at the setting half moon and all I could see was a huge orange blob with a black circle in the middle, obviously this has something to do with focusing so what do I need to get this to work as my setup is already nearly bottom-heavy?
      Either that or it might be a lot easier to use my Pixel 5 phone connected to the eyepiece, can anyone recommend a good adapter for this please?  I've seen this on Amazon.. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Svbony-Universal-Cellphone-Binocular-Monocular-Black/dp/B016EILBAY/ref=sr_1_10?crid=2D2EEIA81TKYX&dchild=1&keywords=mobile+phone+telescope+adapter&qid=1606225704&sprefix=mobile+phone+tele%2Celectronics%2C175&sr=8-10, but folks say they've had mixed results.
      Thanks very much.
      Rick.
    • By Astrid
      After a few months of getting used to my new 8 inch beast, I decided to start astrophotography (luckily today is Black Friday in most tech shops in my country). So I decided to drop the idea of buying a DSLR and started thinking about getting a webcam. The thing is that I want to try deepsky AP, so i was wondering, is there a webcam that could get me good results for DSO AP? Don't worry, I don't want anything too fancy because I'll be happy with entry-level images. (i saw some nice Andromeda pictures with 20GBP cameras on this forum so I'm confident that it would work).
      My budget is ±100 GBP, which in my opinion is more than enough for a good webcam . So... is it worth getting a webcam? Or is there something better? Should I wait and raise more money for a DSLR?

Thanks a lot!
      Astrid 

• By endlessky
      I would like to share my first picture ever posted and the first real picture captured with my Tecnosky 80/480 APO FPL53 Triplet OWL Series (not counting the test shots for "first light").
      This is IC 1805, also known as the Heart Nebula, taken over 4 nights, under my Bortle 5 home sky.
      Total integration time: 8h 52m 20s.
      Here are the acquisition details:
      Mount: Sky-Watcher NEQ6 Pro
      Telescope: Tecnosky 80/480 APO FPL53 Triplet OWL Series
      Camera: D5300 astromodified
      Reducer/flattener: Tecnosky 4 elements, 0.8x
      Guide-scope: Artesky UltraGuide 60mm f/4
      Guide-camera: ZWO ASI 224MC
      2020/10/07: Number of subs/Exposure time: 1@60s + 80@90s. Notes: No filter, Moon 70% illuminated
      2020/10/13: Number of subs/Exposure time: 2@60s + 11@180s + 1@200s + 12@240s. Notes: L-Pro filter, no Moon
      2020/10/27: Number of subs/Exposure time: 59@180s + 1@240s. Notes: L-Pro filter, Moon 88% illuminated
      2020/10/28: Number of subs/Exposure time: 48@180s. Notes: L-Pro filter, Moon 93% illuminated
      Total exposure time: 31940s = 8h 52m 20s.
      Pre and post-processing: PixInsight 1.8.8-6.
      Unfortunately, the best out of the 4 sessions (no Moon and L-Pro filter) was also the shortest one. But, after waiting for 5 months for my telescope, I couldn't pass up the few clear skies opportunities I got since it arrived, Moon or no Moon.

Here's a link to the full resolution image: Heart Nebula (IC 1805)
      Thanks for looking and commenting!
    • By Anthony RS
      Hello,
      I'm selling these 2 filters since I'm getting a mono astro cam. The filters are barely used and in perfect condition, no scratches, no fingerprints, not even dust. They are both amazing filters, probably the best investment I've made. I've attached some images
      taken with these filters, using a 100$ celestron newtonian, a 250$ Canon 500D and the infamous AVX. Also attached are images of the filters showing their perfect condition.
      Astronomik CLS-CCD Canon Clip in Filter: https://www.astronomik.com/en/filter-gegen-lichtverschmtzung-filters-against-lightpollution-lpr/cls-ccd-filter/clip-filter-eos-mit-astronomik-cls-ccd.html
      Original price including VAT is 155 Euros (around USD 182). I got it for around USD230 including VAT, shipping and custom taxes.
      Selling for USD 100.
      Astronomik Ha 12nm Canon Clip in Filter: https://www.astronomik.com/en/clip-filter/clip-filter-canon-aps-c/clip-filter-eos-mit-astronomik-h-alpha-ccd-12nm.html
      Original price including VAT 194 Euros (around USD 228). Got it for around USD 270 including VAT, shipping and custom taxes.
      Selling for USD 150
      I am willing to ship them on my own expense using LibanPost (from Lebanon). Shipping might take time; if you would like to use some other shipment method please contact me to discuss the price. 
      Feel free to buy one or both together.
      Let me know if you have any questions. 
      You can also contact me on <private email address removed>
      Cheers,
      Anthony

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.