SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Camera Modding?

Superdavo

Hello everyone!

I have recently been thinking about the possibility of having my camera modified for astrophotography, but know very little about the subject, and have a good few questions:

1. How much would I gain from this process? As far as I know, the effects of removing IR-Block filters, considerably improves the imaging of H-Alpha objects, but by how much?
  2. Roughly how much would this process cost me? 
  3. How unusable would the camera then become for terrestrial photography? From what I know, it is bad, but editing can improve the situation.
  4. If I decided to get my camera modded, where would be a good place to get it done?

I don't know much about it, but from what I have heard, it can very a very useful process.

Thanks for your help

David

it all depends on the level of "Modding" you go for
you can have the IR replaced with a Baader filter, this allows the camera to be used in daytime by using a custom white balance

http://cheapastrophotography.vpweb.co.uk/Low-Pass-Filter-Replacement.html

try that site, I know from personal experience they are very good
I bought my modded camera from them as have lots of others on this site, the replacement filter service costs about £90

but more info on the site that will answer your questions

My modded 600D came from Cheapastro, i never went for the Baader filter, the camera can still be used for normal photography by changing the B and G settings, all this is explained in a E-mail from Juan, very good Company to have the work done by......

Hello everyone!

I have recently been thinking about the possibility of having my camera modified for astrophotography, but know very little about the subject, and have a good few questions:

1. How much would I gain from this process? As far as I know, the effects of removing IR-Block filters, considerably improves the imaging of H-Alpha objects, but by how much?
  2. Roughly how much would this process cost me? 
  3. How unusable would the camera then become for terrestrial photography? From what I know, it is bad, but editing can improve the situation.
  4. If I decided to get my camera modded, where would be a good place to get it done?

I don't know much about it, but from what I have heard, it can very a very useful process.

Thanks for your help

David

You gain around 40~50% of increase in sensitivity in the red region of the spectrum in particular in HII region. This is where most of the emission of the popular targets such as the M42 the Orion nebula and likes takes place . Contrary to popular belief there is no appreciable increase in sensitivity in the Green or Blue regions. Depending on the type of Mod you may or maynot be able to use the camera for daytime photography. The link in the previous post is a very good place to start looking at prices and options. You should also consider if buying a modded camera dedicated to astrophotograpy could be an option so you could keep one for daytime photography .

A.G

Archived