SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Can I capture any reasonable images with this?

I have an Explorer-130P SynScan AZ GOTO which I got initially to learn my way around the heavens.

All of my time has been spent visual, I did have a go at converting an Asda web cam when there seemed to be a few posts about this particular web cam but failed miserably. Some time back I obtained a SPC Phillips web cam.

Would I be wasting my time trying to get images of the moon, saturn and jupiter?

I beleive I would have to use a barlow to acheive the neccessary back focus or can I use some form of extension tube?

If anyone has experience or knowledge of this particular scope and imaging I would like to hear your.

Rich.

Would I be wasting my time trying to get images of the moon, saturn and jupiter?

Nope, you won't be wasting your time at all. There is plenty of people that use an AZ goto mount for planetary imaging.

As for back focus, all you have to do is unscrew the lense from the barlow extension piece and use that. When you get the hang on it, use the extension with the barlow lense in place to get a larger image.

The planets are starting to get harder to image at the moment as they are disappearing for the summer so there are low on the horizon making seeing quite hard. So ,if you want to have a go, do it very soon.

I have one of those scopes, you won't need a barlow to reach prime focus with a webcam. However it would be very handy to have one for planetary otherwise things will be quite small. You will get banding on Jupiter but no other detail unless you can magnify it a bit ;)

It is also possible to gain another 12mm of focuser travel by removing done of the excess black plastic on the focuser.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Once again the posts have been very helpfull and encouraging.

D4N, I am not exactly sure that I understand about removing one of the excess pieces of plastic but hopefully it will be obvious when I have a look - thanks Richf.

There's a shiny plastic tube with ridges on, when you focus all the way so you can't see this any more you will notice that the metal end piece (that the eyepiece goes into) is hard up against the black plastic next to the bit you turn to adjust focus. This part of the plastic can be safely cut off.

I'm not at home right now but when I am I could take a pic of mine to clarify things if you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

to be honest, with a Explorer-130P you are going to have to use a barlow to get any sort of image scale. Without it, even if you can get focus, the planets will look almost stella because they are so small.

I had a go at webcamming with my celestron 130 (simillar focal length to yours) and couldnt get any detail until i used a x2 barlow.

i've attached my best effort, which was using a £7 tesco hd webcam,

post-26554-0-54848900-1402046885.jpg

I knew I shouldn't have wandered over to this side of the forum. Topics like this are very interesting but they are also a bad influence. I can already feel the first glimmers of dabbling with this imaging lark starting to form.

I am doing the same learning the ropes with a SW 130P on a motorised EQ2(?) and a SW ST102 on a SynScan AZ GOTO I have got some good (for me) image of saturn were you can make out the bands and some nice Moon shots

Archived