SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Faulty safety film - CHECK BEFORE USE

Joe_L

Last year I bought some famous-brand solar safty film to make my own filter. After making the mounting and BEFORE using it I carefully inspected it and discovered a flaw in the film - only at certain angles in the right light conditions I could see nearly half of the film had a roughened surface, almost like a series of finely scored lines. Looked a bit like a diffraction grating - may something like a roller mark from production perhaps? See attached photos (one showing reflected light the other showing transmitted light from my desklamp)

I knew I had treated the film extremely carefully and could see the mark in offcuts that had never been removed from their protective covering so I knew it was present in the product on deliverey. My fear was this could allow increased energy levels through (not to mention causing a lot of diffraction) so discarded the entire sheet.

FLO were very helpful as ever and replaced it immediately without quibble - many thanks and full marks to them for this. Also to be fair to the manufacturer the item was replaced and it does come with adequate warnings.

However I'm posting this as a heads-up for everyone doing solar to re-inforce the warnings other people have posted-  check, check and check again, everytime you buy OR use a solar instrument for naked eye observing.

You cannot be too careful.

I meant to post this ages ago but better late than never.

Joe

post-28578-0-52275000-1401713161_thumb.j

post-28578-0-24605600-1401713324_thumb.j

It's a slight wrinkle caused by dropping it onto the sticky surface as per the instructions, and not by any pulling. Thankfully my second attempt was better.

Joe

Thanks for the heads up. I have some Baader film over my Skywatcher 120ED lens cap and it looks ok for the moment. I'll be sure to check before each use now though after seeing this. I guess the film can be easily to damaged or can degrade over time so this is very wise advice!

Archived