Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What can you see in White Light?

AndyWB

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just tried it out and it's not as sharp. From around 30x to 50x the ca still gets in the way. Put the mask back in and the image is a lot better. This CA is a pain in the backside. Oh well

Is that with the continuum filter? I'm a bit confused because that is a narrowband filter which only shows green so CA should not be an issue at all - no red or blue light to get in the way.

This is what my view looks like through the continuum (colour wise I mean, the image is a thousand times sharper visually, this was a quick iPhone shot)

2ubuhubu.jpg

I wonder what's happening?

Stu

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes it's the baader continuum filter. The views at 30x are sharp as a knife and plenty of granulation and faculae.....don't have any issues but step the mag up a little and it's no where near as good.

Until I stopped it down. Even viewing in daytime I've a lot of CA.

So when you describe CA with the Continuum filter are you just meaning the image goes soft? CA is colour fringing which isn't possible through the continuum because it is only allowing green light through. I suspect it is some other effect, which eyepieces are you using?

Stu

are you waiting for good seeing? I have just been using my 6" f5 newt and am getting stunning detail at 40-50x and consider this more than enough to see all the detail available. the view though is very variable with the sun and baader film. the film seems to need a minute or so to settle with the full sun on it.

The Lunt zoom should be fine, good ep. I agree with Shane, could be seeing related but I get amazing detail in my 85mm, similar to those images. I almost always use a 12.5mm Hutech Ortho which is very sharp and gives x48. Just seems right most of the time although occasionally I use a 9mm BGO which gives x67.

It's possible the scope is just not giving great images and a small apo would be worth investing in?

Stu

an apo would be a big step up. I have just bought a good quality 80mm achro (f11) which I hope will give nice results with baader film and eventually a Lunt wedge. that said, such a long ota needs an investment in a different kind of setup and I am working on this (once I get a diagonal!).  I can just about get away with it on this set up I think but for my pillar mount (preferred over tripod but more cumbersome and heavy) I'll need an extension. 

post-5119-0-06911800-1404558241_thumb.jp

post-5119-0-84798300-1404558280_thumb.jp

• 1 month later...

Was looking at this new scope from opticstar

Specification

Model Opticstar ARC102S

Aperture 102mm

Focal ratio F/6.6

Focal length 673mm

Objective Achromatic doublet

Optical coatings Anti-reflection coated

Optical tube Internally anti-reflection coated

Dew shield Yes

Finderscope saddle Yes

Focuser type Rack & Pinion

Focuser 2" with 1.25" adapter (T-threaded for camera use)

Tube rings Dual rings with carrying handle and dovetail platform

Tube weight 4kg (inc. rings)

Tube length 680mm

Eyepieces Plossl 1.25" 25mm

Magnification With bundled eyepiece:

w/25mm eyepiece x25.

With optional eyepieces and/or barlow lenses:

w/9mm eyepiece x75;

w/6mm eyepiece x122;

w/9mm eyepiece and x2 barlow lens x150;

w/4mm eyepiece x168; (maximum practical magnification)

Star diagonal 1.25"; 90°

The one I have is an f5 400mmfl, would the former be better choice with a wedge attached?

Archived