Triple shadow event on Jupiter

Davey-T

It's a daylight event, it's times like these that make me wish for a good go-to.

There is a guide using the circles in S@N which I brisked over, if it clears up tomorrow I might have a practice run before deciding it's too hard.

Just done a dry run, and the good news is that I could see Jupiter and it wasn't hidden by the garden trees as I'd feared. The bad news that it was only barely visible as a very pale grey disk amid the solar glare.

Anyway, the forecast doesn't look good for here. So it's purely academic!

Surely we will not be able to see any of the shadows actually transiting because of the light levels.  I was looking down someones 12" Dob on Friday night and they had Jupiter in their eye piece at ~9pm, UK time, and although you could see the shape of the planet, had there been a shadow transit, I would have been surprised if we would have been able to see it visually?  

Surely we will not be able to see any of the shadows actually transiting because of the light levels.  I was looking down someones 12" Dob on Friday night and they had Jupiter in their eye piece at ~9pm, UK time, and although you could see the shape of the planet, had there been a shadow transit, I would have been surprised if we would have been able to see it visually?  

Hoping it might show up in imaging.

Dave

Worth a go if it's clear. Not looking good here unfortunately. I managed to track Jupiter from 2pm through until night time a little while ago. The Atlux mount does a good job and can be left setup and with its alignment stars remembered so you can switch on and find things in daylight.

Stu

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Viewing now. Just managed to capture a terrible image which shows at least one shadow, despite hazy high cloud. Waiting for Ganymede's shadow to appear shortly.

Archived