Narrowband

Williams Optics or Skywatcher short-tube?

I'm looking to get a good short-tube soon for my first foray into deep sky imaging, but am not sure to go for the Williams Optics zs71 or the Skywatcher Evostar 80ED DS-Pro. With reducers, both look to be a similar price, but it looks like the Skywatcher has a wider aperture and focal length, whilst the WO is faster. Anyone have any thoughts?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You might be better asking for images from both, equally you will get the good ones from both.

The ED80 is longer so more chance of tracking errors showing up.

The ZS71 will I think still show some CA on things like Saturn and Jupiter etc.

WO say colour is controlled not eliminated.

I also think Skywatcher say much the same, but the faster WO will be prone to a bit more.

On ambles down to the SWAF the people there use WO72's a lot and the images are good, and people here images with the ED 80 a lot and comment on it's ability.

So there seems very little in it all.

Check the focuser on the WO, you will need the R+P one, also therefore check what comes on the ED80.

I have a feeling it is going to be the ancillories that decide it either way.

As an alternative thought there is a Megrez 90 on ABSUK at present, it may be worth considering.

Also sure that in the last week or so I have seen a GT-81 advertised for a good price, that really would be worth considering. Just cannot locate to point you in the direction of it.

May still be available: http://www.astrobuysell.com/uk/propview.php?view=82470

Tough choice as Ronin said the ED 80 has slightly better correction the ZS71 has the better focusser (you would not believe what i hang off mine when doing macro shots) the ZS71 is physically tiny but can be difficult to balance because its back heavy.

The zs71 with reducer has an effective focal length of 335mm so is best at widefield although mine does well on lunar shots.

Alan

Archived