Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Vixen SLV Eyepiece Report: 6mm, 12mm and 20mm

John

Yes, definitely in my opinion. I've owned a couple of sets of TV plossls so I know and respect them well. 

Interesting conclusion (SLVs being on a par with TV Plossls). I wonder if they would do well in a Quark (not that eye relief is an issue at the focal lengths used in a Quark).

I've been toying with the idea of getting the 5mm. The lack of fov may be a worthwhile trade off for good performance and comfortable ER. As Spaceboy has said, it's good for the rest of us that you take the time to review and write up your reports. Must be very time consuming!

Bish

The 5mm is similar quality to the 6mm in terms of image and comfort of use. However, in your 10", the quality of seeing/turbulence will make the 6mm more used than the 5mm.

I have to admit to jumping in shortly before John's report came out (zero self control). It was something of a relief when he gave them the thumbs up. At that point, I had no reference point against which to judge performance. That is why these reviews are so helpful.

Paul

Thanks for the report John, I have been reading up as much as I can on eyepieces for a few weeks now & your reports and answers to questions on this forum have been very helpful. 

Thanks also to other members who have contributed to the eyepiece section on SGL, seemingly tireless with your assistance.

I'm sure you will know what I mean when it gets to a point when studying different eyepiece specs etc you feel the need to reach for the Paracetemol............ 

Thanks again.

Clear skies,

Fondofchips.

Interesting conclusion (SLVs being on a par with TV Plossls). I wonder if they would do well in a Quark (not that eye relief is an issue at the focal lengths used in a Quark).

It depends how well the Quark will play with a more complex opical design. The SLV's have 7 elements in 4 groups. If you prefer a neutral tone eyepiece, you could argue that the SLV's are slightly better than the TV plossls as they produce views very similar to the Baader GO's. Very well controlled flare and light scatter too, considering the number of elements.

Tone is rather irrelevant in H-alpha, of course. I think control of scatter is the main issue to watch here. The rather steep angles of incidence in many SWA and UWA designs might increase scatter, compared to narrow-field EPs like the SLV. Maybe a (super)monocentric would be the ticket :D

Bish

The 5mm is similar quality to the 6mm in terms of image and comfort of use. However, in your 10", the quality of seeing/turbulence will make the 6mm more used than the 5mm.

Thanks Paul. I spend more time looking into the merits of various ep's than actually observing!

I have to admit to jumping in shortly before John's report came out (zero self control). It was something of a relief when he gave them the thumbs up. At that point, I had no reference point against which to judge performance. That is why these reviews are so helpful.

Paul

Bish,

The 9mm SLV gives the best solar views, for a fixed length eyepiece by quite a margin, that I have seen in my Lunt 60 and the 6mm SLV gives the best white light views in the 80mm Equinox.

I must add I have not used a TV plossl before but I have used the Delos range quite extensively.

I don't know yet how my 25mm SLV will work with the Quark but I will find out within the next couple of months :smiley:

Edited by Pig
  • Like 1

• 2 years later...

I know this is trolling up an old posting, but....
Having read Johns review I pulled the trigger on a 10mm SLV and wow what an eyepiece, wonderful.
As Victor Kyam in the 1970's said I was so impressed I bought...... another one a 6mm and double wow.

John your review envcouraged and I am so glad it did.
Wonderful eyepieces.
Quality of build, excellent.
Quality of view, outstanding.

This is based on Plossl TV etc. ownership to date and the view is much finer.

• Like 1

@Alan White: I'm glad you like them and that my report was some use.

@Moonshane: Shane, I seem to recall that they reach focus a little further in than a TV plossl but not as far in as a Baader GO. Not very precise but the best I can do from memory !

• Like 2

I did a full change on my TVP's to the the SLV's and I haven't regretted it one bit.. The 20mm showed more of the veil than the 20mm TVP did when I did a side by side just before the plossl was sold on.. 

I don't honestly know why these little gems don't get more press, especially at lower focal lengths where the 20mm ER and fantastic performance really make observing at higher powers so comfortable.. I've recently bought a couple of delos and I can honestly say, although I was worried I'd defunct  the SLV's I actually reach for them more than the delos, especially on the moon.. I just get on with them better, the delos win on DSO where the FoV is a great benifit..

Also they are very good on white light work.. Definitely better than the delos.. Might even have to get the 10mm despite a 10mm delos in the case..

Don't think you'd be disappointed Shane.. Next time I'm using ill not the focus point on the draw tube (not sure if that even helps) but ill do it anyway and let you know..

Ta

Fozzie

• Like 2

So trolling up the post has set others talking, great.

These SLV have such a nice image, the 50 degree fov works for me and the price is reasonable for the end result, again thank you John.

Fozzie I went for the 100ed ds pro and its great, you were quite right.

Now based on the good recomendations, what's the best lottery numbers then??

cheers Fozzie, 

I bought Adam's Baader Zeiss Prism the other day and he mentioned these. He's a top guy and like many of us, rationalising his kit a bit. I am sticking with my plan for 2x 25mm TV plossls or possibly a pair of SLVs depending what comes up first. I do though have a 9mm gap in my box but am trying to remain disciplined for once. I hope to fill this with a 9mm Delite.

• 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 03/09/2017 at 20:20, 25585 said:

Thinking about the 20mm, but have an Erfle of same fl. Would the SLV be signifigantly better?

Sorry for the late reply - I've been away on holiday.

The SLV would be sharper across the whole field of view than the Erfle even in faster scopes and the light transmission and light scatter control is likely to be improved by the latest glass and coating types used in the SLV design.

I realise that you have probably made another choice now but I thought I'd respond to this question all the same :smiley:

Edited by John

14 hours ago, John said:

Sorry for the late reply - I've been away on holiday.

The SLV would be sharper across the whole field of view than the Erfle even in faster scopes and the light transmission and light scatter control is likely to be improved by the latest glass and coating types used in the SLV design.

I realise that you have probably made another choice now but I thought I'd respond to this question all the same :smiley:

Hope it was a great holiday! I am still wanting a modern 20-ish ep, but trapped in the dream v reality spiral!

After reading your review John, I invested in a 15mm SLV to use in my ST102 and 127 mak. Wow, what a lovely eyepiece! In The ST it's great on DSOs - dumbbell and ring nebula were better than expected from my light polluted site in Edinburgh. I don't know if if just a nice balance of magnification and exit pupil. The only thing I would change...is a little more fov, because I quite like 60°. But over all I'm impressed and would buy others on the future. 

Just wanted to say thanks for your review :thumbsup: hope you had a good holiday!

• Like 1

On 18/09/2017 at 14:56, John said:

Sometimes also known as "paralysis by analysis" :icon_biggrin:

Shifted to a 40mm LV wish, a fl I don't own, than can be Barlowed to a 20, albeit with narrow field. 

John (as you know) eye relief is my #1 consideration. How much er is lost on current LVs when the eye cups are screwed fully down, compared to the up-or-down folding cups of original LVs? My 10 and 6 allow whole fov with glasses and less exact eye placement to achieve that.

32mm is covered by the excellent TV Plossl, a LV 40mm 31.7mm would complete my travelling set and fit in an ep bandolier.

1 hour ago, 25585 said:

Shifted to a 40mm LV wish, a fl I don't own, than can be Barlowed to a 20, albeit with narrow field. 

John (as you know) eye relief is my #1 consideration. How much er is lost on current LVs when the eye cups are screwed fully down, compared to the up-or-down folding cups of original LVs? My 10 and 6 allow whole fov with glasses and less exact eye placement to achieve that.

32mm is covered by the excellent TV Plossl, a LV 40mm 31.7mm would complete my travelling set and fit in an ep bandolier.

I can't really answer that I'm afraid. I felt that the eye relief of the SLV's was more than comfortable and very similar to the Pentax XW's or TV Delos and that was more than enough for me so I concentrated my review on their other properties.

I guess a current SLV owner might be able to answer your question and possibly post a photo of the top of an SLV with the eye cup in it's lowest position ?

As eye relief is so critical for you, I feel that you might want to focus on eyepieces with apparent fields of view of 60 degrees or less as with the narrower fields, seeing the whole thing is easier.

Also eyepieces with less wide fields are likely to have eye lenses that are less concave so the quoted eye relief is more likely to be useable to a greater extent.

There are some designs, eg: the Maxvision and Meade 5000 series SWA's and UWA's where the top section of the eyepiece can be removed completely which leaves the eye lens right at the top of the remaining eyepiece body. Like this:

post-18869-14073059772499_thumb.jpg

Edited by John
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 25585 said:

Surprised FLO do not sell those (or Tele Vue).

FLO do sell the Maxvision's but the Meade 5000 series SWA's and UWA's are now out of production I believe. The story goes (as I understand it) that the Meade decided to change direction but the manufacturer had made quite a few of the SWA's and UWA's which Meade did not take up so they re-branded them Maxvision and distributed them at a somewhat discounted price.

I expect FLO would like to carry Tele Vue's and are working on it :smiley:

Edited by John