Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

need help with new telescope

Hi I am new to astronomy got my new scope a few weeks ago.(skywatcher explorer 200p eq5) the thing is I cant seem to get anything in focus iv tried the wide angle eye peace with Saturn I should be able to see something but its only a large light with spider and 2nd mirror in the centre of the large light  pls help thanks.

post-37412-0-94133000-1401548727.jpg

One of these: http://starlightinstruments.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=146

You attach this to the scope first and then pop your eyepiece in the top, meaning that the eyepiece is further from the secondary than it was, and may now be within reach of focus.

I'm sure someone else can explain this far better than me!

Hello and welcome to SGL. The SW200P is supplied with two eyepiece extension tubes, one for 2" eyepieces and the other for 1.25" eyepieces. Not being able to focus is usually down to attaching both, moving the eyepiece too far away from the secondary mirror to reach focus.

If your 200P came with the 2" adapter & you have it fitted to the scope then you might need to remove it & just use the 1.25" adapter for the Skywatcher eyepieces.

The 200P can take a 2" eyepiece and a 1.25" eyepiece.

There is one common problem, people leave the 2" adaptor in place.

Yes it looks like it should be there but it shouldn't.

This ALWAYS means that they cannot get the scope to focus.

Hate to say it, I suspect you are the latest person to fall foul of this "feature".

Amazed at you patience however, I would have reduced it to landfill.

thank u for all the help I have been trying to get it in focus for 2 days I have now took off the 2" extension and now I can focus it on a church when I couldn't before will try it on saturn first clear night.

Glad you are sorted, if you have not already downloaded a planetarium program try Stellarium. Its great and free and can be found here :-- http://www.stellarium.org/ .

Thats a great scope to have and it is on a sturdy mount. Enjoy.

Cheers

Damian

p.s

Before you have to ! get clued up about collimation :kiss: ...Plenty of good guides on this forum.

thank u I have stellarium great software iv got 2 books as well I was out the last 2 nights with it had great clear sky I could find the things I wanted to see but just couldn't get it in focus.i could see Saturn throw the finder scope and make out the a moon but couldn't see anything in the main scope cant wait till its dark now knowing my luck it will rain. thanks :smiley:

why do SW insist on shipping the 200's with the 2" attached when they come normally with 1.25 lenses
I did the exact same thing with my new 200 and have seen the same question on here hundreds of times
thankfully I had this place to help sort me out, but others that don't use the net must get frustrated when they can't get it to work out the box

and no backup without going back to the retailer complaining only to be told its easy to sort

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I had the same problem at the start and went through collimation and it still did not work after I collimated. Then I realised I had both the 1.25 and the 2 inch adaptor in when I was not meant to,felt like an idiot.

Good look with getting clear skies I hope we all do.

Archived