SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

ST80 and ADM clamp

Hi all

i am just wondering if anyone else has this setup? i purchased a adm clamp,st80 and SW dovetail as i was advised using guide rings throws a risk of flex when guiding. And that using this method is more solid.

I am not sure if i have assembled it up right. On the ADM clamp there are two holes but i am only about to screw it into one hole on the dovetail bar. I also had to turn the dovetail bar upside down so the screws provided could catch and tighten.

I then clamped the base of the st80 into the clamp and everything seems solid enough. but i have this feeling i haven't got it setup right. Added a few pictures to help understand a bit more.

20140531_140209.jpg

20140530_193815_1.jpg

Cheers

Hi,

That does not like right at all, the clamps are the wrong ones for the rail being used, you need an ADM mini dovetail and clamps, they are shaped to slide on the rail and clamp tight, yours are upside down to start with, these are what you need, and also,a picture of my set up,with ST80, the tube rings connect direct to the clamps with one screw, and the clamps then slide onto the rail, and you then tighten the clamp. No need for the extra skywatcher block you have I between.

post-29463-0-09840500-1401547912.jpg

post-29463-0-13176500-1401547928.jpg

post-29463-0-58055000-1401547949.jpg

Regards

MM

Using guide clamps does stop adjustment of the ST80 its not going to line-up with the EP, now this doesn't matter to much, but i use Finder Scope  in its normal holder and this allow the scope to be aligned precisely with in my case the PHD Bull's Eye so when i look at M112 and it shows centred on the Bull's Eye it dead centre of the DSLR Sensor, so provided i have focused i can just image, i will sometime soon buy the AMD Guide rings (125mm size)  and do the same with my ST80, as for flexure it won't worry me as i only image for my reference....

Using guide clamps does stop adjustment of the ST80 its not going to line-up with the EP, now this doesn't matter to much, but i use Finder Scope  in its normal holder and this allow the scope to be aligned precisely with in my case the PHD Bull's Eye so when i look at M112 and it shows centred on the Bull's Eye it dead centre of the DSLR Sensor, so provided i have focused i can just image, i will sometime soon buy the AMD Guide rings (125mm size)  and do the same with my ST80, as for flexure it won't worry me as i only image for my reference....

I think the OP is talking about using as a guide scope, so perfect alignment does not matter, he is not using as his finder scope.

MM

I knew something was not right. I had been told by a chap from FLO that this is all i needed.

So do i need a total different dove tail  then the skywatcher one? Bit confused now, as i feel what i was told i would need is totally wrong. Clear night here aswell tonight so i guess i will have to keep the ST80 indoors and use the 9x50.

I think the OP is talking about using as a guide scope, so perfect alignment does not matter, he is not using as his finder scope.

MM

Just pointing out if aligned properly a guide scope can double as a finder scope using PHD Software, but it does need guide rings and a sensitive CDD...... 

I knew something was not right. I had been told by a chap from FLO that this is all i needed.

So do i need a total different dove tail then the skywatcher one? Bit confused now, as i feel what i was told i would need is totally wrong. Clear night here aswell tonight so i guess i will have to keep the ST80 indoors and use the 9x50.

Yes you need the ADM mini dovetail rail, which has the cut outs for the ADM clamp to slide straight onto, each ring will be connected to a clamp, so,you will need two clamps, as in my set up, it is the most rigid system you can get , absolutely no flex at all.

The clamps are around £25 each I think, I have one for sale which comes with a Manfrotto ball camera mount for £39 brand new on astro buy and sell here

http://www.astrobuysell.com/uk/propview.php?view=82809

MM

I seem to have got it right. it's very solid and won't move a muscle. What i did was screw the clamp into the bottom of the ST80 bush type tripod. then still having the dovetail turned upside down it fits snug into the clamp and is now solid and inplace right. i will try it out tonight and see how it goes.

Thanks for  all the help. If i seem to have any trouble with it i shall try the method you mentioned.

20140531_184132.jpg

20140531_184150.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

That looks right to me. You've got the correct parts and I was about to post suggesting you do exactly what you have done!!

Hope you get a chance to try it out soon

Archived