SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

31.05.2014 incrdible group of proms

Pete Presland

It is spectacular down there all and has been all morning. It's a lovely day so far over here.

Have some friends over from London with their two young kids. They all got to see the sun for the first time - "wow!"

"It's like it's in 3D", "...that looks like the last piece of a Dandelion before it floats off..." "That one looks like Nelson's Column..."

Tried to give them a sense of scale, not sure whether their littles minds were truly blown or whether they were just humouring me...:-)

Don't have time to get my camera out unfortunately, hoping it's as good tomorrow but I look forward to seeing your results later.

Enjoy!

K

I saw this on Saturday too - I was out about 11am. Wow! I've not seen something like that before on the Sun (though I'm still kinda new at this). What was this? I was trying to describe it to someone, and failed utterly. The best I managed was geysers of plasma many times bigger than the Earth. I don't think they believed me.

Used my new Lunt Zoom eyepiece - and was pleased to find that it works very well. Might update one of the other threads about that.

Prominences are large regions of very dense, cool gas, held in place by magnetic fields. It is because they are cooler than their surroundings that they appear dark on the surface, But if they appear on the "edge" of the Sun, they appear brighter than the dark outer space behind them.

Prominences and filaments are really the same thing, but they look bright or dark depending on what is in the picture's background. 

The part on the face of the Sun is dark (a filament) and the part hanging out past the edge is brighter than the empty space behind it (a prominence).

Archived