Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

EQ8 Users- Please check this!

Zakalwe

On the second revision of the EQ8 the worm adjustment screws can be accessed by removing some small 8mm grub screws from the worm block cover (the first EQ8s needed the cover removing to access the screws).  These grub screws are only these to stop dust and crud getting inside the mount.

A user on the Yahoo groups has highlighted that these grub screws can drop inside the mount. I've just checked mine and one screw was wound in right to the end of the thread. I don't remember it being like this before, though I might be mistaken. They move very freely, so its possible that in use, they could rotate over time.  I've now replaced these screws with some short cap-head screws.

It'd be worth checking your mount. I'm not sure if the grub screw could actually do any harm. I assume that a worst case scenario is that they jam something up, so in my mind it's just not worth the risk.

739df593-78bf-46d4-bc07-f1e41f7f109b_zps

I had this on my ill-fated EQ8 as well. Using grub screws as blanking plugs is absurd. Why would you do that? What is to stop the grub screws falling in? Of course you need capped screws. Is there an issue with clearance in some positions? If so, flat caps would be the order of the day.  :grin:

Olly

I think the grub screws look quite neat, and an application of Loctite threadlocker would easily sort the problem of movement. 

Agreed.

Either which way, I think that it is a bad idea to ship the mount with un-threadlocked grub screws. There's nothing to stop them from dropping inside during shipping or during use.

If only Haynes did Mounts. The screws must be there for a purpose or it's a design [removed word] up.

If it's a design [removed word] up, the use of grub screws locked or unlocked is poor engineering practice.

cheers

Steve

If only Haynes did Mounts. The screws must be there for a purpose or it's a design [removed word] up.

If it's a design [removed word] up, the use of grub screws locked or unlocked is poor engineering practice.

cheers

Steve

The screws are there to allow access to the screws that adjust the worm backlash. The first version of the mount had a plate with no access, so you you had to remove the motor cover and the plate to access the adjustment screws. It's a good idea to have the access, just a poor idea to blank them with grubscrews.

• 2 weeks later...

Skywatcher seem quick to make changes. For example, the second delivery (compared to the initial Australian deliveries) had the clutch locking levers changed. Hopefully they'll also jump on this simple fix and sort it out.

Here's the change to the lever i found on my new mount.

The screw is longer with a spring on it so the lever can be adjusted easily, a nice change for the people having problems with getting the clutches tight enough.

post-17296-0-89486200-1402487949_thumb.j

Archived