Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What is the best filter for observing DSO's?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

CCD narrowband filters have a much tighter bandpass than the visual versions. This give maximum contrast for imaging, but makes the image much too dim for visual use. They also have more expensive anti-reflection and IR/UV blocking coatings that are not required on visual filters.

The Orion Ultrablock is pretty much a UHC isn't it?

Yes - It's a good filter though. I owned one before I got my Astronomik O-III.

The Astronomik O-III has a slightly more generous band pass width than some other O-III filters so it's effective and pleasant to use even with my 4" refractor.

Ok, could someone please explain the difference between the UHC and UHC-S.

Can't really find anything, all descriptions look the same.

UHC-S is a Baader filter which has a slightly wider band pass width than a regular UHC making it suitable for use in scopes with small apertures. With apertures of 4" or more I reckon a standard UHC is more effective though.

I have both the Skywatcher UHC and OIII filters. Up til now i have only used them from my old house (20-30Km south of Dublin city). The LP there really wasnt too bad. I have yet to try them in my new location (28Km inland from where i was). The skies here are much darker (its essentially a rural location). If you can escape the bright lights of London that would be ideal. I know its not always possible. Others have mentioned astronomy groups within London. It wouldnt be a bad idea to go along to one of their observing nights.

Archived