Narrowband

Nice to see a widerfield of this spectacular area.

The Loop came out fairly well although it most likely needed more exposure and can just makeout the Horse.

Think I will try a widefield next time it comes round.

It's a shame I missed out on having a go at this, I love the rich field of Orion and you've captured it really well.
I'm going to make sure my nifty fifty gets a good run out this summer, especially on Cygnus.
Lee

Nice to see a widerfield of this spectacular area.

The Loop came out fairly well although it most likely needed more exposure and can just makeout the Horse.

Think I will try a widefield next time it comes round.

More exposure is always helpful- I'll give this another go when Orion comes around again. I've got some different ideas on how to tackle it- maybe using filters to enhance the Ha?

Edit- I was pleased to see traces of the Witches Head Nebula appearing as well.

Nice to see Barnard's Loop and the Witch Head in there. Don't suppose you can remember what aperture setting you were using on the 50mm lens please?

I'm really looking forward to having a go at this target in the winter with my 50mm lens. I'm waiting delivery on a second hand EQ3-2 & RA motor, I managed to get this from a fixed tripod earlier this year:

13046617283_5430094105_c.jpg

(70 x 3.2 second exposures at f2.5, cropped.)

Nice to see Barnard's Loop and the Witch Head in there. Don't suppose you can remember what aperture setting you were using on the 50mm lens please?

I'm really looking forward to having a go at this target in the winter with my 50mm lens. I'm waiting delivery on a second hand EQ3-2 & RA motor, I managed to get this from a fixed tripod earlier this year:

13046617283_5430094105_c.jpg

(70 x 3.2 second exposures at f2.5, cropped.)

Looking at the EXIF data F2.8, the lens is a F1.4 but that's coma territory- most 50mm lenses need to be stopped down a bit to preserve the star shapes at the edges.

Looking at the EXIF data F2.8, the lens is a F1.4 but that's coma territory- most 50mm lenses need to be stopped down a bit to preserve the star shapes at the edges.

Thanks, that gives me another point of reference. Several people seem to be imaging around f4 with it, I'm going to experiment a bit with different apertures. Depending on the target I might want to open it up more and crop out the worst of the coma.

Archived