Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Least used eyepiece and why don't you sell?

I had a situation where effectively all my EPs were my least used. Partly due to our junk weather but also because when I did get an observing session in I ended up having short views through lots of eyepieces in an attempt to compare them or "see which gives the best views".

Of course by doing that NONE of them gave the best views as I wasn't giving my eyes enough time with one EP to see all that there was to be seen..so I got rid of most of them and now just have 3 main EPs, which I will now stick with (one is a good quality zoom).

Of course, since I did that we've had wall to wall cloud most nights...

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Probably 6.5mm plossl and a 15mm Kellner. They will get use when I get my little scope out, but with my big dob, other eyepieces take their place.

I am thinking of having a clear out this autumn and deciding what I really don't need or which needs replacing. 3 years ago my purchases were good for the money I had. Now I have more money I suspect upgrades are in order for some.

• 2 weeks later...

The least used eyepiece is a  4mm H. The reason I don't sell it, is that its part of the original set that came with the scope I purchased many years ago. On the unlikely chance that I might sell the scope, I'm sure the purchaser would want a complete and original kit.

My least used eyepieces are the 4mm Zeiss Abbe orthos. The eye relief is uncomfortably tight and the itty bitty eye lens is difficult to clean if it gets smeared with eyelash oil. I prefer to use the Nagler zoom, t6 Naglers, Radians and Ethos eyepieces instead for 4-ish fl because I see more when I am comfortable observing. I haven't sold them because they are parts of matched sets.

My least used is my 32mm panaview. I just don't enjoy using it, pin cushion effect in the outer 5% is really bad and I find it distracting. But a 12" f4.9 is a stern test I suppose.

However I am reluctant to sell it as I intend to buy a frac at some point, and having used this ep in an f8 it was absolutely delightful!

So for now I will continue using my 38mm panaview as my finder ep and switch straight to my 15mm uwa for general viewing. But with fathers day and.my birthday due next week, I see an ES 24mm on the horizon to fill that gap for larger clusters etc that normally would have me (reluctantly) put the 32mm panaview in.

Archived