Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Least used eyepiece and why don't you sell?

Hi all

There are lots of threads about most used eyepieces but what about your least used ocular and if you hardly use it why do you bother keeping it?

In my case it's actually the 12.5mm Baader Genuine Ortho.  I find that I tend to skip over it and use either a 15mm TV plossl or a 9-7mm BGO or 8-10nn Radian for most higher power viewing. So why don't I sell it? The reasons are twofold. It would be extremely hard to replace and I'd not get a massive amount for it and also, I suspect that it will come in handy when I get a solar scope as 12mm approx. seems to be a really useful focal length for solar observing.

So what about you?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For me the least used EP is the same as the most used EP. :)

If I knew where it was I might consider selling it. 

For the record its a 12.5mm Astro Hutech Japanese Orthoscopic and actually gives some very nice views.

Just thought that I'd share  :grin:

Probably the cheap 18£ Zoom http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Seben-Zoom-Teleskop-Okular-7-5-22-5mm-1-25-31-7mm-SZ1-Astronomie-/360718254656?pt=DE_Foto_Camcorder_Okulare&hash=item53fc7bc240#shpCntId (not to mistaken with their 45£ Zoom) as it is really toy quality, perhaps still better as the ultra cheap set eyepieces that come with some telescopes.

I keep it as I need a dozen eyepieces for my "school telescope".

Another one is the 4mm Plössl, verrrrry short eye relief...

I am not selling it as it only cost 8£ and if a beginner would buy it, I could not forgive myself :D

My 31mm Nagler and 3mm Radian are my least used eyepieces. The big Nagler is a very heavy beast and, unless the night is very dark, does show the background skyglow a fair bit. The 3mm Radian is only really used for splitting tight binary stars with my 4" and 4.7" refractors under very good seeing conditions and does show up the floaters in my observing eye with it's very small exit pupil.

Why don't I sell them ?. When they are able to be used, they are really very good at what they do. In the 31mm Nagler's case it delivers the best views of my favourite DSO, the Veil Nebula of all my eyepieces and the Radian delivers very high magnification coupled with comfort through it's generous eye relief. On top of that I managed to get both these eyepieces at bargain prices on the used market that I'd never be able to repeat if I needed to re-buy them.

In all honesty I could live without the 3mm Radian I think but I know that I'd miss the big Nagler from the moment I started to pack it up to go off to it's new owner plus I believe it's a classic eyepiece and one of the very best that Tele Vue have ever produced   :smiley:

I think of my EP set as half & half. 

1 x Heavy set that need counterweighting & careful handling (sober), and 1 x 'lazy' set of 3 plossl's that cover x145 x106 & x80 (drunker).  

I like to think I'm not that lazy so I will say the plossl's gets the least use.......................but often a plossl is perfect. 

I don't drink as much as this post implies. :smiley:

My least used is my 22mm nagler and my 31mm, as john says the 31mm is brilliant, but only from black sites, the 22mm is great but I don't use it much and I don't no why

sent from my Sony Xperia

Probably all of them at the moment, but i'm not selling because this cloud can not last 365 days a year....

But to pick on an individual one, probably the 4.7mm ES82, i'm not selling because I know, a few times a year, in my set up it will reward my loyalty..

My least used EP is probably my 10mm Pentax XW. My most used is probably the 14mm and I tend to skip past the 10mm straight to the 7mm. I don't sell because it is a superb EP and my long term goal is a bigger Dob with a longer focal length, so I expect the 10mm to become the new 7mm in future. Also in the occasional dark night in galaxy season, there is simply nothing better.

My 31mm Nagler and 3mm Radian are my least used eyepieces. The big Nagler is a very heavy beast and, unless the night is very dark, does show the background skyglow a fair bit. The 3mm Radian is only really used for splitting tight binary stars with my 4" and 4.7" refractors under very good seeing conditions and does show up the floaters in my observing eye with it's very small exit pupil.

Why don't I sell them ?. When they are able to be used, they are really very good at what they do. In the 31mm Nagler's case it delivers the best views of my favourite DSO, the Veil Nebula of all my eyepieces and the Radian delivers very high magnification coupled with comfort through it's generous eye relief. On top of that I managed to get both these eyepieces at bargain prices on the used market that I'd never be able to repeat if I needed to re-buy them.

In all honesty I could live without the 3mm Radian I think but I know that I'd miss the big Nagler from the moment I started to pack it up to go off to it's new owner plus I believe it's a classic eyepiece and one of the very best that Tele Vue have ever produced :smiley:

For me, exactly as John says! I guess we have some similar scopes so the reasons are the same. I am hoping to pick up a Leica ASPH which will cover the whole of the middle high mag ground and just keep my heavyweights for dark skies.

Shane, I didn't use my Hutech 12.5 much until I started using the Herschel Wedge and PST, it is excellent in both of these. It is also seeing a lot of use in the Vixen, again it just seems to work beautifully in there.

From home, I mainly find myself using my 24mm Pan, plus my Plossls and Orthos. Just less hassle with scope balance I guess.

Stu

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Has to be the 9mm Ortho.

I put it down about 10 minutes after buying it and haven't seen it since.

That was about 4 years ago.

One day I will stand on it, swear at the pain and then think about putting it in a scope to find out what it is like.

My least used eyepieces are the 20mm erecting eyepiece and the 4mm that came with the Celestron 76AZ 700.

I'm saving the scope and eyepieces for my grandaughter for when she is a little older.

Avtar

I think its my four Kson orthos, never been impressed with the short eye relief, and in fact I am in the process of selling them locally.  I love wide views and good eye relief so sticking to what I enjoy most.

I have a super short 3.2mm TMB that is only used afew times a year, for really tight doubles or when the seeing is spot on, don't sell as it is useful on those rare occasions.

My 10,25mm SW stock plossls that came with the 10 inch Dob, besides that, everything gets used. I don't intend to sell them,  they would hardly get any cash. if I ever decide to sell one of my scopes or upgrade I can chuck them in for someone to get started, if I have some family or kids or group of people at some point I may decide to use some.

Rick, that's interesting I'd say the pentax 10.5mm XL  is my most used. I wondered about getting the  14mm myself  or the 17.3mm Delos.  I often switch  from the 10.5mm to the 20mm MV, very nice jump but feel something in between is needed as well to keep me happy, at least my 15mm BST does get used and is to be upgraded next. 

Whether I end up with pentax 10.5, Delos 17.3, 28mm MV or pentax XL10.5, XW or Delos 14mm, MV 20mm and 28mm remains to be seen. The 17.3 Delos almost shows the same amount of sky as the  20mm MV, so if I got that the 20mm would be redundant pretty much, but I like using it. 

I may get the 14mm and see for a bit, I could always move it on and get the 17.3 Delos instead and move on the 20mm and slim down to the 3 in that range, no rush for now to decide :smiley:

My least used is 6mm BCO, that's because I've been using C8 most, 6mm is too much for C8 most of the time.

Why don't I sell it? It's part of my complete BCO set, it gave me the first good view of Jupiter in 130P, and it'll get more used in 80ED in double work.

My least used will be my most recent purchase, TV 25mm plossl, which I bought for use on specific targets using a H beta filter. Having said that, it will probably receive additional use to. My other most least used, I reluctantly decided to sell partly towards fundraising for other items, 11mmTV plossl an excellent planetary eyepiece particularly with my C8. Became over shadowed a little by my 10mm delos and I have been seduced by the incredible eye relief of the delos, now wishing to add a 12mm. 

Over the past 2 years I have reduced my collection of EPs. For DSO observing I have my 21mm, 13mm and 8mm Ethos. I also have a 10mm Delos which I suppose is the least used of the 4. With the PST its the Baader zoom which may now be replaced by the Pentax zoom which arrived today. Finally for Lunar, Solar and Planets I have the binoviewers with 25mm, 15mm and 12.5mm EPs. Again if the Pentax zoom works well I will be losing these 6 EPs and replacing with another Pentax.

So my EP collection is being reduced and I don't see the point of keeping EPs that are not being used. If I sell I can see a new Lunt 50mm Ha on the horizon.

My least used is (obviously?) my Maxvision 40mm SWA, which I bought mainly because it was stupid cheap for such a huge lump of glass and it was the only one from the range I didn't have.

Why don't I sell it? Two reasons;

One: I've sold EPs in the past because changes of scope meant they were no longer useful, only to be caught out when I bought another scope where the now absent EP would have been very much so. Thus selling EPs, even if bought second hand, generally does end up costing money.

Two: Because of the above and because I now feel I have a range of EPs that can cover most plausible circumstances, I will only sell an EP to replace it with a better one of the same (or near as makes no difference) focal length.

Thus, even though the 40mm SWA was an irrational buy, it is saved by Russell's Law of EP Purchases.

Going forward, I also can't (yet) imagine a circumstance where the 40mm SWA position will be called up for review, unlike say the 11mm FL. I don't want to replace - for example - the ES82 11mm, but conceivably ER and glasses may one day visit upon me the need for a Delos 10 or 12mm.

Things change, so never say never. :)

Russell

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD using chubby fingers. Sorry.

My currently least used eyepieces are a pair of 15mm TS HR Planetary eyepieces. They are not getting as much usage as they should do in my binoviewer, partly because of the poor weather this past year, and also because I love my pair of 25mm Tele Vue Plossls in the binoviewer. The 25mm's are so comfy and nice that I am tending to use a barlow with them rather than put the 15mm's in for higher power.

I haven't sold them because I don't think they would fetch much second hand, and I think I will use them when I want to push the mag up a bit for planets. I have mostly used the binoviewer on the Moon, but I am getting more into planets now than I was before.

At the moment my least used is the 21mm Ethos, I used to just keep picking up the 20mm Nagler instead, so I try to sell the Nagler, the buyer has let me down so it's coming back. In that time I have not used the 21mm, weather could have played a part and I was writing reviews. The fact remains that the 21mm is not getting out the case, very closely followed by one of John's choices the 31mm Nagler. But then the LX is not getting out much either, is it time to dump that as well.

It is a problem when you have a few eyepieces but I find it so hard to part with them, lets face it the Ethos cost around 700 quid and I will loose a good deal by getting rid so maybe I should try and love it.

Alan

Something that I just wanted to add was that, while my 10mm is probably my least used, it is certainly not unused. I don't have any EP's in my box that don't get used.

Archived