Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_lunar_landings.thumb.jpg.b50378d0845690d8a03305a49923eb40.jpg

psemil

Leo Triplet

I've been working on this image since 2 january and after months of bad weather I managed to finish it.

The image consist of 17 hours of luminance and little less than 6 hours of colors made by Sabin Fota.

Hope you like it.

get.jpg

Thanks for watching

• Like 9

That's lovely. I'm interested to know what equipment you used.

• Like 1

Superb captuerand processing. Getting that tidal tail to show is a great achievement.

A.G

• Like 1

Great images. Though I think you stretched the color a tad much and looks a bit artifical. But at the same time I like being able to see the detail in the arms and color...its a tough act to try and balance. i think you're pretty close to getting there. Thats of course my opinion.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for good words.

nmoushon - about the colors I was not decided to saturate or not. The version B on astrobin is with colors less saturated .

Please watch the picture full size. The details are pretty good (in my opinion).

About the setup: for luminance ASA ddm60, FLI  ML8300, ASA korrr2 corrector, custom 8" newton...

For  colors: Losmandy G11, JTW astronomy 600D, megrez 90, Televue 0.8x corrector

It is a great image but I have to agree that it is a bit over the top. Pixinsight style, right? The data appears fantastic, so well done on that!

/per

• Like 1

Thanks lbbo, Per

If everyone believes that colors are a little to streched ... I will have to remain at the less color saturated version...

Thank you Simon,  Richard...

What more could I want?   ...
There is still a long road ahead. I am just sorry I could not move my equipment during the winter to high altitude and take some imaging data to arround 2000m. The weather alowed a small window for that in february but my job...

Thanks lbbo, Per

If everyone believes that colors are a little to streched ... I will have to remain at the less color saturated version...

i am not quite sure that I agree with this, the colour of a DSO image is a purely subjective matter and so long as the end result is not " offensive " in an artistic manner then it is just fine. I quite like the colour balance and saturation this image  for one.

A.G

• Like 1

Fantastic, what a treat when you click the image, I just did not expect that, its superb!! 

• Like 1

Marvaz Guy thanks for your good words.

Lensman57 -  I agree with your oppinion about deep sky object color.

I personally preffer the lesser saturated image ( version B on astrobin), but some friends insisted that the image was not "alive" and needed some saturation.

When I'm looking to my  astroimages I see that my taste about color balance has changed many times...

Marvaz Guy thanks for your good words.

Lensman57 -  I agree with your oppinion about deep sky object color.

I personally preffer the lesser saturated image ( version B on astrobin), but some friends insisted that the image was not "alive" and needed some saturation.

When I'm looking to my  astroimages I see that my taste about color balance has changed many times...

Ditto my friend.

A.G

• Like 1

Very nice. I think I'd like to see the background of B with a 60% blend of just the Triplet from C. Having said that though, I think I prefer the Lum on it's own, it just has something about it that engages you.

No question it was well worth the wait & effort I'd say. :smiley:

• Like 1

Very well done. You do need lots of data to get that tail.

Over on the French forum I get told off sometimes for too much colour saturation. (The English term 'flashy' is sometimes used but it isn't as pejurative as it is in English.) That's fine - except if someone says it's ''over saturated' and that is a technical point, not a subjective one. You are only 'over saturated' when you have pushed the saturation hard enough to induce colour noise, and I never do that. I don't believe you have done so either. 

In my view colour is like signal. (Well, it IS signal!)  To go deep and get the tail you shot a lot of data. It gave you sufficient signal to show it. Nobody is going to say, 'That image is too deep' are they? And so for colour. If you take sufficent data you can present stronger colour. I see this as part of my job as an imager. Sure, it can be too strong for good taste but still, colour is part of what we set out to capture, in my view.

Olly

PS, you've gone for slightly cooler tones than we usually see, with the blue a little higher, I guess. This has brought some nice colour modelling into the outer parts of the Hamburger.

Edited by ollypenrice
  • Like 1

Sorry for delayed response.

In my view colour is like signal. (Well, it IS signal!)  To go deep and get the tail you shot a lot of data. It gave you sufficient signal to show it. Nobody is going to say, 'That image is too deep' are they? And so for colour. If you take sufficent data you can present stronger colour. I see this as part of my job as an imager. Sure, it can be too strong for good taste but still, colour is part of what we set out to capture, in my view.

Olly thanks for clarification. I will remember this...  It is a good argument in shotting more colors. I am new in monocrome imaging (my second image thus far) and I was tempted to shot more luminance and less colors. The RGB processing  proved to be more demanding than Luminance.

Still I am realy satisfied of the result. About the color balance,  my inspiration were two images from Interstellarum Astrofotograf des Jahres 2013. The second has higher blue levels than mine...

Fabian Neyer and  Knut Schäffner

Thanks everyone.