SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Eyepiece Sets

I know there are multiple threads on eyepiece sets vs individual and the discussions over eyepiece quality with current beginner telescope etc which have been extremely useful, but I have a scenario to run past you more experienced guys to see if it makes sense.

I have a scope which seems a decent one to my inexperienced eyes, but the 2 eyepieces which came with it are not the best. I took my scope to an astro society meetup and tried out some other eyepieces compared to mine and the results were obvious and pretty damning for my 10mm + 20mm ones. My question is that seeing as I need to upgrade and get a decent low, medium, high power eyepieces and all the filters as I have none (assuming my current stoick eyepieces are no good at all now), then does it still make sense to get a single eyepiece at a time as my budget allows, or get a decent baseline set of eyepieces/filters/barlow and then go the 'life-time' eyepiece at a one by one route?

I am pretty certain I am going to get a set to simply get all the filters and an acceptable level of eyepieces, but I would appreciate any feedback.

I would,nt be in such a rush to buy an eyepiece set that come with filters because most you will not use and the quality will only be slightly better than you have now(filters will probably be plastic so threads will strip easily).Maybe a bst star guider 8mm to start £49 and then a25mm.These will give you high and low power plus the ones you have now plus you could add a Barlow at a later date.This will give you a wide range and mostly you must use and get to know them.Filters I would buy seperatly as and when depending on what your favourite objects are,hope this helps.

Don't buy sets, better to get one at a time and the best you can afford.  Also if you can go secondhand with the same budget but it allows for better quality go that route.  I have bought 4 secondhand ep's and all are completely immaculate, no regrets saving £££'s that way.  A small bit of dust or the odd fingerprint does not affect the viewing at all ! There are some absolute bargains around if you are patient enough and with these clouds theres plenty of time.  

Eyepiece sets usually come in a nice padded flight case and contain about 6 lenses, 6 filters, and a barlow, all for the princely sum of circa £150. That's an average of £10-£11 per item including the case and to be honest the quality can be equivalent or often worse than what you have already.

A good alternative is to add another £25-£30 and buy a Baader Hyperion 8-24mm Zoom lens which gives you 5 pieces in 1 of a vastly superior quality. I wouldn't worry about filters cos a beginner won't use more than one of them and that is usually the moon filter.

The zoom does narrow the field at the 24mm end so a nice 28-32mm would be a great addition - WO Swans would work nicely - or a Celestron XCel. Meade do some very nice wide field pieces as well, so you have three decent brands to consider. My suggested combination will transform you telescope into a good working instrument.

I made the mistake of getting a set when I was a beginner and was terribly disappointed - so I always recommend against them. Hope that helps. :)

I agree with all others above, you should not make a decision based on whether the set provides filters or not, they are usually fairly good but most of us do not use coloured filters.  My only use for them is in solar viewing.  If you want filters later all well and good, sets can be bought separately.

I am going to against the grain and say that the revelation eye piece is great value for a beginner. I bought the set 2nd hand for £100 2-3 years ago and sold it at the start of the year for £75. Yes, there are better eyepieces out there. However, I found it useful to 'dip my toe first'. Infact I found the 32mm revelation plossl to be a great eyepiece. However, it is all about opinions and budgets. Not everyone had a bottomless pit of cash.

Hi Robin - I did have a read of that - really great information. I worked out what I would need from that and I am still a bit torn because as Chris says, there are some decent sets going 2nd hand, but I do see the attraction in identifying and getting the specific pieces you need. My plan is to take my scope to the next astro meet and play with their eyepieces (which includes some plossls from a set) and then I will see which ones I think I feel the need to own myself... They do have a zoom eyepiece as well, a Williams Optics one, so will see if that would be a good fit for me. Thanks again.

Hi Matt, that sounds like a good plan.  The best set is the Revelation one I believe, however, I have only heard good comments about the 32mm, and it is good, but the other eyepieces have limited use in my opinion, and I have found I prefer wider views and better eye relief in the middle and high magnification ranges, something that plossls do not offer.  But I am speaking from experience gained over a number of years, and priorities and preferences change (esp. as you get older (and wiser, I like to think)!).  'Would be interested to hear your further experiences with your local astro meet.  Good luck!

The problem of a kit is that they are usually aimed equally at all scopes, you need eyepieces relevant to your scope.

At 130 it seems to be the f/5 build.

I generally suggest that the shortest is equal to the f number and for yours that is a 5mm eyepiece.

After that something a little longer for when it won't work, then a medium and a wide.

Which eyepiece depends heavily on the budget, and 4x really adds up fast.

So if it were BST's then 5mm, 8mm, 15mm and 25mm. (£200 at the end).

X-Cels then 5mm, 7mm, 15mm, 25mm. (£250 at the end)

The more recent planetarys are £35, again something along the above, they would come to £140.

Concerning filters, I do not have any so use none and I also avoid barlows - simply prefer individual eyepieces.

You can do what many do and that is buy an eyepiece each month.

I agree on going down the route of (1 quality eyepiece at a time) unfortunately for a fast f5 scope only the pricier high end brands deliver the true quality of their optics, lesser ones will show aberrations, I have had my scope for a month now and have only upgraded to a single eyepiece, a gap filler between my 10mm and 25mm, I am in no rush to spend a fortune on more just yet as I believe my stock Ep's perform reasonably well.

I also purchased a barlow lens and various filters, the latter I don't seem to get much use out of. Many people even prefer not to bother with a barlow lens at all.

Best advice is to take your time, ask all the questions you need here, and spend time looking at accessory reviews and sampling other Ep's at Astro meets, then you can make an educated decision.

Good luck

I have an f/4. Something scope myself and an f/14 scope both are refractors. I do mainly planetary but I been also doing or attempting viewing star clusters and what not. I only four eps total and two are the same 20mm one 6mm and one 10mm my proble. Is two different barrel sizes. I have two different adapters for my scopes and from what I have played around with any eps I get will be an upgrade. The ones that came with my newer scope are better quality thN my older one but the views I get with my oldr one can be amazing given the age of it. Both actually came with dew shields and I have a 3x barlow that cMe with the new scope so I been learning how to use that as well. I find it easier to learn new things regarding my scopes on the moon first then the planets and then some stars and potentionally DSOs

Archived