Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

EQMOD v Backyard EOS

I am planning to get either an HEQ5 or NEQ6 Pro soon and have been thinking about computer control for DSO imaging and mount control etc.  I recently saw Maxim DL in action, which was very impressive but is probably too expensive at this stage and, having seen a YouTube tutorial + read about Backyard EOS, thought this would be a good, cheaper substitute. I have now also come across and read about EQMOD, which also seems to incorporate similar functions as Backyard.

What's the difference + pros & cons between these two + does SynScan have any bearing on this matter?

I realise everyone will have their personal preferences but what will be the best / typical set up to enable: GoTo mount and related imaging control, Guiding (I presume PHD will do the job?) and camera control. Thanks.       

Backyard EOS is a photographic capture software suite... it controls the imaging camera... it does not control the mount.

EQMOD is a mount control software package which generally works in conjunction with a planetarium package (such as CDC or Stellarium) for goto and sky mapping etc.

It also works with PHD as a guiding package... with PHD controlling the guide camera.

EQMOD does not directly control either the imaging or guide cameras.

Ideally you need all 3 programmes (or their equivalent) for PC controlled imaging.

Hope this helps.

Best regards.

Sandy. :grin:

BackyardEOS and EQMOD are two entirely different programs. BYE is a program designed for image capture through a Canon EOS DSLR and EQMOD is a telescope mount control program for Skywatcher EQ mounts and other EQ mounts using Synscan. BYE has some limited mount control ( i assume this is to allow slight adjustments between shots ) but isn't intended for full control through a planetarium program. In reality you need a program for camera control ( BYE or APT) and another for total mount control (EQMOD).

Yes, but you will need to add a planetarium program, e.g. Cartes Du Ciel, for slewing. Then to complete Mission Control, add Astrotortilla for plate solving. Oh and I would definitely check out APT (Astro Photography Tool) instead of BYE - cheaper and great!

Then to complete Mission Control, add Astrotortilla for plate solving.

It may not be apparent from my original question but I've been doing a lot of reading around, however plate solving is new to me?  Why do I need to do this?

It's a very easy way to centre a target on the chip. You slew the scope to your target through CdC, but the chances are you won't be on the target. So, click in AstroTortilla and it asks APT to take a picture, compares that pic to its massive database of stars (a plate solve) and works out which bit of sky the scope is actually pointing at. It then moves the mount accordingly and takes another picture. Solves that plate and hopefully you are now on target, if not it moves again and so on... Very powerful stuff and sometimes essential, depending on focal length of the scope.

Hope that helps.

As others suggested BackyardEOS will not control your mount.  I did implement an ASCOM telecope feature in BYE 3.1 but it is only to nudge the telescope and is there for convinience only.

Add Carte de ciel + EQMOD + PHD to BYE and you get a complete package.

BYE integrates with AstroTortilla as well :)

Good luck.

Guylain

I have not uased APT but can very strongly recommend BYEOS. I found it to be absolutely brilliant with my eos1000d and made capturing, focusing, framing and even planetary a breeze.

Archived