Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Binoculars or Monocular?

Ok I am getting old and my eyes aren't as good as they were.  I have a 'scope that will do for the moment but I wear specs and want to better aquiant myself with a overview of the heavens. I was eyeing up a barr & stroud monocular (10 x 50) that is advertised as suitable. My thinking is that this might be less stressful than trying to get both eyes focused up properly which is an aspect of binoculars that has always annoyed me (and anyone I then pass them to).  Does anyone have experience in comparing the experience of bino/mono that might confirm or oppose this idea?

Yours,

Ian

I had the decision made for me by virtue of having one eye rather astigmatic and short sighted, not to mention a little lazy so I can never get binoculars to work properly... I'm quite happy with a monocular, it is simpler but you do lose the 'stereo' effect bin's can give and whilst I find it easier to hold/focus etc I'm left with the same issue I get when using a telescope eyepiece - what to do with the other eye :)

James

Hi, you will see more with a 10x50 binocular than a 10x50 monocular, the brain can extract more information from an image if it is presented to both eyes. If you need glasses for astigmatism you will need to wear them and find a bino with enough eye relief to allow their use with glasses. You might also find a lower mag pair more usable if hand held, 7x50/8x40, for example. :smiley:   

I use binoculars when possible, but if I'm needing to travel light, then a monocular is the best option for me. I don't particular have a problem with either, but do prefer the view through the Bino's. As James, I have the problem with what to do with the other eye with the monocular.

Many thanks for the useful advice from all above.  I have already looked at a few more possibilities and I will have to be careful as I can see that eye relief can vary widely even between very similar models in the same range.  " the brain can extract more information from an image if it is presented to both eyes " seems obvious - I wonder if the different sides of the brain are extracting different types of information? I'm not too worried about closing my left eye as I do a bit of shooting (I run the .22 range for the Cadets).  But at this rate I will probably end up with both!

Ian

Archived