Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Electronic focuser advice?

I've had a quick search but got bored with that so though I'd better just ask.

I want to find a decent electronic focuser for my SW 150p but with the numerous choices (including wireless) I was after anyone's personal advice.

It would be great if I could control it via ASCOM and my xbox pad, which incidentally is soooooo easy to slew the scope wirelessly when looking through the finder or main scope.

Has anyone else done this? Slew and focus wirelessly via game pad?

You know what... a quick youtube check would've answered it for me!

The SW Autofocuser and hitec astro DC focus at around £110...ouch...does anyone have a cheaper, compatible alternative? Maybe a homemade setup?

How about a software driven autofocuser? The technology has existed for years in digital cameras, so is there a webcam / software alternative for software driven autofocus?

A quick check on google / youtube shows a lot of wireless focusers, some home made...but I can't find a software driven one...

Maybe I'm not looking hard enough?

The combo of skywatcher 'auto' focuser and dcfocus over USB is pretty darned good.

I've not seen any true auto focusing software but something like BYEOS has fwhm and bhatinov focus assist which gives you a numeric score you can use to fine tune your focus. I still preferred a bhatinov or Hartman mask by eye though.

The skywatcher motorised focuser holds the focus position pretty well through the motor's natural resistance to slight movements from camera weight etc. And also gets rid of the shaking if that is a problem for you. There is a control panel available for the DC focus and it really does work very well.

Archived