Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

New in South Florida

Aplanis

Hi. I just joined the forum after reading many of the articles.

I've always had a fascination with astronomy. As I kid I looked through my dad's surveyor set at the moon.

As a "cheapie" set given to me years ago but never had the time to really use it.

On flights I've always bought astronomy magazines to read.

I definitely want to finally invest in the hobby and finally explore.

I just purchased an Orion XT8 fob which comes with a 25mm eyepiece.

I ordered an Orion Shorty 2x Barlow and and Orion Stratus 5mm wide field.

I haven't received it yet, but should receive this week and plan on going to local star club to get advice on using it.

Should this tele and eyepieces suffice for now?

Interested in planets and nebula and dso

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi welcome to SGL from Pete in Bedfordshire :smiley: i am sure it will be a fine choice of 1st scope and the eyepieces will ok as well. i would not use the barlow on the 5mm eyepiece (too much power), but it will be ok on the 25mm eyepiece.

download stellarium here http://www.stellarium.org/en_GB/ Stellarium is a free open source planetarium for your computer. It shows a realistic sky in 3D, just like what you see with the naked eye, binoculars or a telescope.

Hi and welcome to SGL - As an imager who has never looked through a dob, I can only echo what I have heard on the forum - You have made an excellent choice of scope :grin:

Look forward to seeing you around :smiley:

Heya and welcome from Norway.

I got just about the same scope, the XT8i, and I think also your scope is supplied with a collimation cap?

Maybe a cheshire collimator also might come in handy.

Anyways, I`m very pleased with the XT8i, only had to adjust the primary a bit (bought it second hand from a guy who never collimated it)

It is a rather large scope, but I can carry it up and down stairs in one piece.

In my opinion  the XT8 is not only a very good first scope, but also a decent final scope, as long as you`re not planning any AP that is.   :smiley:

Rune

Thanks everyone. Of course I meant XT8 Dob ( not fob) lol

Does anyone with same scope have a 5mm eyepiece? What is your highest power you use to see Jupiter and Saturn well?

Thanks again for the warm welcome. I've already learned a lot from you all from lurking. I'll definitely be needing advice once I start observing and especially with acquiring necessary gear

Welcome. Lots of fun (and some frustration, I guess) ahead.

Enjoy

Lol yeah I'm sure. I hope more fun than frustration though. I'm lucky in that I live near a large golf course so should be able to observe on that often enough to learn

Greetings and welcome from Tiree, a dark and often wet island off the west coast of Scotland. I hope that you get as much pleasure and enjoyment from this site as I do.

Thanks! The Scottish accent is cool. Definitely want to visit Scotland one day

Archived