Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hello from the California Coast

toebell

Santa Cruz area newbie.  Hoping to start curing my extreme astronomical ignorance by joining this forum.  Just traded a computer for a Celestron SP-C6 reflector piggy-backing a D=60 m/m  f=700 m/m refractor mounted on a motorized tripod.  Some of the documentation is missing.  

Right now I'm struggling to find out what I've got and how to use, adjust, and maintain it.   post-37344-0-07816800-1401132813_thumb.j

Then, maybe, I'll struggle to stay up past 10 pm and actually get outside and look at some objects.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hello and welcome to SGL. The telescope you have is an old Celestron SP 6 newtonuan reflector (this you know). a search on google suggests that it was maade sometime in the mid 1980's by the Japanese telescope manufacturer Vixen. The focuser is quite unusual due to the fact that it slides back and forth along the telescope tube together with the secondary mirror. The mount is a Vixen Polaris and you might find this manual useful http://geogdata.csun.edu/~voltaire/classics/vixen/vixen_polaris.pdf

A big welcome all the way from Bulgaria, I see you have a very good view of most of the sky looking at the polar angle of your scope, you must have the likes of Antares very high in the sky. Hope you enjoy the site.

Alan

Hi and a warm welcome from me.

While you are getting to grips with your kit try a free download called Stellarium. It will get you familiar with the night sky and help you plan what you want to observe.

Happy Stargazing and enjoy your Astro journey.

Archived