Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

First time to a dark(er) site... What essentials

Fozzie

So I've finally had enough of dodging LP and I've selected a site (it's going to be muddy) not to far but better than my garden... Any tips on essentials to take like a torch, wooly hat, chair, telescope....

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

things i take, or will be when the next clear sky will be here will be, a few layers as it does get bitterly cold, gloves, hat, scope (imaging rig), bino's to keep me occupied whilst the scope is grabbing photons, flask of my home made scotch bonnet soup to keep me nice and warm lol, a chair, phone in case of emergency (i got lost in the woods when i went to the car last time and was wondering around in ankle high mud for about an hour, i was so scared it was unreal, i got to a point of not even knowing what way was back to the car and really was wondering what i could have done if i didnt find the car again, very silly not to carry a phone :( thats all that comes to mind i think mate, just be safe and if you can take a friend along all the better :)

A river side field along a bridal path, it's a start, it's going to be muddy but it's dark enough that I could see the fuzz of double cluster with the mk1 eyeball...... So it's not bad.. And only 10mins from the car... Might be sharing it with some cows though..

Just been asked "what if you fall in the mud?" Fair point I'm going in her car now..

Flask is handy, warm drink, food and sleeping bag just in case the car breaks down and your breakdown service is delayed.  I've been known to take the gas stove and with whistling kettle....coffee on tap....  :)

If you are by the river side, some mosquito/midge repellant would be handy according to tolerance levels...  :D

Other things that may be handy is a GPS app or Garmin, record a reading of the coordinates you car is at just in case you go wandering.

The list gets longer.....  :D

I once got half way to my dark site and realised I'd forgotten my stool - so I had to crouch instead, and never made that mistake again. I keep all my gear in one place, ready for packing without having to check I've got everything. For me it's:

Telescope (tube and mount)

Dewshield, hairdryer, power source

Eyepiece case (including filters)

Accessory case (including collimation tools, scope bits, screwdriver, pencil sharpener)

Stool

Windbreak (and mallet)

Stand for holding charts (and clips for holding them down)

Portable desk

Notebook (with pencil attached) plus observing lists, planisphere, atlases, charts and books (in one box).

A box of other stuff (spare gloves, batteries, lights, chocolate, elastic bands etc etc)

Warm clothes (several layers, plus thermal wellies and hat)

Red lights (bright for starting, dimmer once I'm reasonably dark adapted, dimmest once I'm fully adapted)

Flask

Phone

Spare specs (and string for hanging them round my neck while observing)

Binoculars

Other stuff I've probably forgotten right now - but it's in the box.

Always a good idea to visit a dark site in daylight first, and when you first go at night, be prepared to find it's not as good as you thought. So take an OS map in case you need to look for an alternative.

Before you set out check the times of moonrise/set and astronomical twilight, so you know you aren't wasting your time. And keep your fingers crossed for clear skies.

That's a list acey... I've got about half the things on it.. Few camping bits n bobs out.. Tempted to take a kettle and stove, but I'm only planning on being out a few hours...

Worst case it's a half hour walk home..

That's a list acey... I've got about half the things on it.. Few camping bits n bobs out.. Tempted to take a kettle and stove, but I'm only planning on being out a few hours...

Worst case it's a half hour walk home..

For a half hour walk I'd say it's sufficient to pack a pair of binoculars, a red light and a star map. :smiley:

I tend to read my star charts with a magnifying glass (and dim red light head torch). Though perhaps not essential, I like to take a ground mat for the dob mount and sometimes a mat for the chair. As acey has commented in his list, a camping table (or potable desk)  and perhaps a wind break (should consider this myself) are both useful. 

Have some spare batteries for any thing that needs them. Also every allen key, spanner or screwdriver the scope & mount requires. I had a very loose focuser one time at a dark site & would have abandoned the session without these tools as it was unusable. Some insulation or gaffer tape for emercency repairs.

Illuminated finder as you won't see the crosshairs in an unilluminated one

Check, fitted a nice Ostara 50mm RA Illuminated one a few weeks back.. nice bit of kit..

It could get a bit misty/dewy/cold near the river in the very bottom of a valley- something I've experienced a lot whilst night fishing. If you can get a few meters higher it would help a bit.

Fair point the area is prone to a bit of mist every now and again, usually see it more on a morning though..

To be honest I got my self set up and ready to go, but although all my apps were saying "look at the wondrous clear sky's" in reality it was full cloud for east to west, north to south... waited ages for it to clear... eventually gave it up.. :mad:  

Plastic sheet or tarp and a cushion. You can lay back with a pair of bins and enjoy the view. No use standing or sitting there , as your neck will get cricked and your arms heavy . Best lay back and enjoy, ultimate dark site gear,

Under clear skies !

Nick.

Another item that is always on my list - scope cover, as the great British weather often heeds no regard (particularly when amateur astronomers are out) to  the official weather forecast.

A mobile phone has already been mentioned, which is fine and right. However remote locations, particularly if hilly, will not have reception. Probably not a concern if meeting with others, but just to mindful if you are on your own and encounter for example a car problem. 

A mobile phone has already been mentioned, which is fine and right. However remote locations, particularly if hilly, will not have reception. Probably not a concern if meeting with others, but just to mindful if you are on your own and encounter for example a car problem. 

Good idea Iain,a month and a half ago I buried my truck in the snow going up a hill into the quarry,by myself.I had shovels,a jackall and a saw and got into the site.Whatever the circumstance be prepared and always let someone know where your going

Being me I would look for a site where I can park the car and observe from there. I find that a nature reserve seems to be prety good for suitable locations. Often in the middle of nowhere and often some sort of parking is possible.

Means you have the car, can use it for storing the assorted bits in and you hav to set things up not carry them a distance.

Not sure if of any interest but Go Outdoors have a 12V car kettle in at £15 or £18 (lesser if you join or are a member) means you can make a coffee at the car.

Archived