Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_beauty_night_skies.thumb.jpg.2711ade15e31d01524e7dc52d15c4217.jpg

Very nice session! I did a little shoot out between my new 85mm scope and my trusty 100mm, most interesting, and got to play with my new filters a bit more. Saturn and Mars took mag really well, I got up to about 280x. Jupiter was not much action at all as it was already close to roof height! :-o

I can't believe how good M13 looked! I saw a decent meteorite, and I capped off a great night be seeing the Veil for the first time with my new scope using an OIII filter. I was not sure I would be able to see it, so am very happy. I didn't intend to be out for long!

Hope plenty of other folks got a nice session in.

Edited by Luke

Good so far, I won't pack in now until either Dave's clouds roll this way :) or dawn breaks.  My old Losmandy G11 has tracked within 0.5 arc-sec all night (0.25 arc-sec RMS) which I can barely believe - but it's true. I imaged M92 earlier waiting for the Propeller Neb to rise high enough then continued in Ha on that. Still running.

M92 10 x 300sec

M92-Lum_zps0fdab9a8.jpg

• Like 5

as predicted lots of cloud last night
but may get a chance tonight but not holding my breath

Well, it cleared completely here about 45 minutes before dawn. Chris, what really brassed me off was that it stayed clear over in the east of where i am but i have a dirty great house blocking east/south. Guiding totally eluded me last night so nothing to show for an all-nighter :/

0113hrs, just got in myself. Beautiful sky tonight. Had some lovely views of Saturn. Still not good through 2x Barlow though. Tried for various Messier objects but could not find my way to any. Bed is calling.

Awesome clear night in Reading as well, was really pleased with what we could see. I'd convinced myself our scope needed collimating, but I'm not so sure now. Jupiter was beautiful and crisp, with 5 clearly visible bands in the 10mm eyepiece. We could definitely see one moon, and I think quite possible a second but I'm not 100% confident it wasn't something further out - although wouldn't the glare of Jupiter prevent seeing deeper space objects so close to it?

Gonna order a 7.5mm Plossl I think, in line with what's suggested in the eyepieces sticky. Don't have a Barlow as yet, and probably going to hold off buying one as the scope I suspect I'll end up buying next (200p Explorer) has one bundled. Does yours make stuff blurry or what?

Good so far, I won't pack in now until either Dave's clouds roll this way :) or dawn breaks.  My old Losmandy G11 has tracked within 0.5 arc-sec all night (0.25 arc-sec RMS) which I can barely believe - but it's true. I imaged M92 earlier waiting for the Propeller Neb to rise high enough then continued in Ha on that. Still running.

How cool is that! Awesome!

Well, it cleared completely here about 45 minutes before dawn. Chris, what really brassed me off was that it stayed clear over in the east of where i am but i have a dirty great house blocking east/south. Guiding totally eluded me last night so nothing to show for an all-nighter :/

Heck I'm sorry to hear that Dave, I can't believe just 20 miles (maybe less?) would make all that difference and for such a length of time. You buy some new kit recently? :)

ChrisH

Awesome clear night in Reading as well, was really pleased with what we could see. I'd convinced myself our scope needed collimating, but I'm not so sure now. Jupiter was beautiful and crisp, with 5 clearly visible bands in the 10mm eyepiece. We could definitely see one moon, and I think quite possible a second but I'm not 100% confident it wasn't something further out - although wouldn't the glare of Jupiter prevent seeing deeper space objects so close to it?

Gonna order a 7.5mm Plossl I think, in line with what's suggested in the eyepieces sticky. Don't have a Barlow as yet, and probably going to hold off buying one as the scope I suspect I'll end up buying next (200p Explorer) has one bundled. Does yours make stuff blurry or what?

How cool is that! Awesome!

My Barlow is making my viewing blurry. Not sure why. maybe needs a clean. Bought a collimating tool( Cheshire) gonna set up again with that. Though I doubt the scope will get used for a night or 2, summer seems to have disappeared early again. :embarrassed:

Heck I'm sorry to hear that Dave, I can't believe just 20 miles (maybe less?) would make all that difference and for such a length of time. You buy some new kit recently? :)

ChrisH

no, i'm being cursed for the kit i have...  new mount as soon as i can afford one to better suit this ota.

but yeah, the sky was totally clear in the east up to about 50 degrees. was watching sat24 and the cloud belt was literally skirting this area coming up from the south and barely moving east/west

Edited by Dave_D

If I et a chance, I shall come along to Turf Hill next weekend, I have bookmarked the link you sent, and will have a look tomorrow.

should be a button you click some where along the left hand side mate, think its near the picture on the left :)

should be a button you click some where along the left hand side mate, think its near the picture on the left :)

Do I have to join the Google thing?

• Like 1