SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Tonight

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi

Tonight looks like a clear night weather wise. What shall I be looking at

it looks clear from about 10pm - 12am.... cloud starts creeping in from the east pretty close to 12am, my scope has been outside cooling since about 7pm we have to grab any bit of clear sky we can lately lol :) good luck for tonight mate, i see your in hampshire also, have you ever been to turf hill dark site? we should be going there next weekend hopefully if weather is good

With clear skies in London I'm going planet hunting - Mercury first, followed by Jupiter, Mars and Saturn. After that, who knows? Want to test out my new 15mm BST on a few globular clusters and maybe have a gawp at the Ring Nebula with the UHC filter again. I've also got high hopes of finding some new Messiers - M80 and M107.

Knowing my luck right now, a huge cloud bank will spill over before I go out there...

DD

Jupiter, Mars and Saturn are the prime targets for me tonight if it stays clear. Hopefully a little test with some new planetary filters, though I am too tired to go about it in a terribly scientific manner! :eek::grin:

it looks clear from about 10pm - 12am.... cloud starts creeping in from the east pretty close to 12am, my scope has been outside cooling since about 7pm we have to grab any bit of clear sky we can lately lol :) good luck for tonight mate, i see your in hampshire also, have you ever been to turf hill dark site? we should be going there next weekend hopefully if weather is good

Turf Hill, I know it well. Spent many a happy hour there when I lived in the New forest at Plaitford. Should go there with the scope myself sometime.

Mercury was obscured by houses, but never mind. Best I've seen Saturn for some time, Cassini division visible with 8mm BST. Even caught M81 and M82 over the neighbour's roof despite his annoying outside light :smiley:

Phil

Got in about 15 minutes ago as cloud started covering but WOW! What a night for me. Followed Mars for a couple of hours and got some really good views, ranging from 300x magnification through 250x with various filters giving great contrast and definition to the Syrtis Major and other features coming in to view by the end of the session. Also popped down the road briefly to catch a glimpse of Antares coming up. It was every bit as wonderful as I had hoped it to be for all these years! :grin: :grin: :grin:

Oh, also saw my first glimpse of the milky way this year and so ready for Lyra, Cygnus et al. leading into Andromeda in late summer/ early Autumn!!

lovely night out here tonight! found Mercury quite easily in the glare around 10ish, followed by Jupiter, Mars, Saturn. no planetary imaging tonight so just scanning with the binos and a few widefield images to see how far Vesta and Ceres have moved. saw a nice meteor that flashed through Virgo around 11ish as well.

good night for me too :) run off some nice ammount of data on mars and saturn earlier, just doing some 10min test guide subs now, so all in all a good night, well till i look at the data in the morning loool :D

0113hrs, just got in myself. Beautiful sky tonight. Had some lovely views of Saturn. Still not good through 2x Barlow though. Tried for various Messier objects but could not find my way to any. Bed is calling.

Archived