Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

I saw Saturn for the first time tonight....

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it's probably one of the reasons I took up astronomy in the first place (that and a wonderfully geeky son). I got in from work last night and thought stuff it, get the scope out. Got outside, found Saturn and set up and was just starting to navigate when a full blanket of could came in.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO! !!

However it was kind enough to clear after a few minutes.

I can't get over how clear and crisp it was. Just the most serenely beautiful thing I've ever seen.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

....I can't get over how clear and crisp it was. Just the most serenely beautiful thing I've ever seen.

I've been fortunate enough to get several good views of Saturn recently & every time has been a "wow" moment.

Saturn is a superlative planet - no-one can fail to be moved by it. I remember the view through my ST80 being amazing, but when I went to the 6'' Dob it was something else - banding, moons, those rings and even the Cassini Division. I'm not sure which I find more enthralling; Saturn or Jupiter...

DD

Still waiting for my first glimpse of Saturn :( My garden is South facing but there are several large trees to the east that have been obscuring the view of Saturn. Guess I will just have to stay up later!

Andrew

As did i! last night at around 23:00. I have a north facing garden and so the house obstruct most southerly views. But by 11 it appears between the houses and it is amazing. Also, when first observing at around 11. The ring was on an almost horizontal plane. When i viewed again at 01:00 in the morning it was almost vertical. How come it changed so quickly?

I'm totally with you DoddleDragon. Friday was only my third ever session with the scope, and after some quite disappointing views of Mars, some satisfactory but not impressive views of Jupiter I decided to find Saturn in the hope of impressing my wife that this new hobby is worth spending some time with. When I finally got Saturn in the scope on the third try, Oh Boy!.

How awesome is it that with some amateur gear, you can see that from your own back garden? Mind blown.

I wish I could go back and get my first viewing of Saturn again! It's still a great site now but the childlike amazement has somewhat diminished. Maybe I could get it again but will have to wait for a crystal clear winter night and a quality high power ep upgrade.

We all love Saturn and I always give it a look whenever possible.

I find it very calmative if I've spent an hour unable to locate a fuzzy and feeling frustrated ill swing over to Saturn and all is well in my Universe ;0)

Every night I go out I have somewhat of a plan on what I want to image. But no matter what, before I hook up the DSLR, I always give her a look with a 9mm EP and 2x barlow. For me it's just not the same seeing it on a laptop screen. (Unless it was in the imaging plan lol)

Every night I go out I have somewhat of a plan on what I want to image. But no matter what, before I hook up the DSLR, I always give her a look with a 9mm EP and 2x barlow. For me it's just not the same seeing it on a laptop screen. (Unless it was in the imaging plan lol)

I know what you mean. Some stunning pictures both here and online, not just Saturn. These cannot compare to seeing these sights with your own eyes though even with my basic setup.

Caught Saturn for the 1st time recently, it was well worth the waiting for. Our garden is north facing but long so coukd make it out over the roof tops. Just trying to decide which was better though, Jupiter or Saturn, both amazing.

A view of Saturn for the first time is a memorable and beautiful event!  ....and to think that any of our contemporary telescopes offer us such spectacular views that Galileo himself would be impressed.

Clear skies

Roger

Saturn was the first object I actually identified and was able to view when I first set up my telescope. Its nice to hear that I am not the only one to have a childlike sense of awe when first viewing it :p

I'm among those still waiting.

And I know I'm going to love it.

I know it's going to happen - I just don't know when ...

But I know it's going to happen.

I just know it will.

It will.

I know.

Archived