Solar Scope question

Not thick Dave, you are just not familiar with the various scope configurations yet.  I use the Lunt LS60T with a LS60f DS unit. On my 60mm scope the internal etalon is pressure tuned just like the Lunt 80. But my 60mm DS is an external front mounted etalon and screws onto the front of the scope, whereas the DS unit for the 80mm is another internal pressure tuned unit that fits together with the first pressure tuner. Makes sense if you look at pics of the scopes.

My front mounted external etalon can be removed and placed on the front of a larger aperture scope (using an adaptor) and the B1200 blocker replaces the diagonal in the larger scope. Thus I end up with an Ha scope with a  longer focal length for closeups if I so desire.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a few refractors, 80mm, 100mm and 110mm but looking at the price of front mounted Etalons it seemed to make more sense to buy a purpose built Solar scope.

Dave

Going back to your original question Dave, you asked whether the 60DS or 80SS was best. My choice was the 60DS for all the options it provides. Of course that is what I have now, but starting over again and given your choice, who knows.

Hi Dave,

Joining this thread late. Last summer I faced the same question that you are trying to answer. Let me start by saying that I am "visual only"

* I already owned a tilt tuned 60mm lunt and was either going to upgrade to a double stack LS60/DS60 pressure tuned or go for the LS80

1. I read many opinions that the LS60/DS60 showed more surface detail than a single stack LS80

2. I read differing opinons on the LS80 internal double stack unit - there seemed to be various posts out there than an internal double stack etalon is not as good as an external front mounted etalon. I am no expert however.

3. a front mounted DS80 module is about £4000 on top of the LS80 @£4000 so this was outside my budget

4. I talked to Ian King and he said that he had "never had anybody complain about the views when adding a DS60 front stack to a LS60 but he had heard varying feedback on adding a DS50 to a LS60 scope". This swayed my thinking that it may not be a sound move to add a DS60 to the LS80 later (if you're going to reduce the aperture by adding a smaller DS module then you may as well buy the smaller aperture in the first place and save some money

My decison was to buy the LS60 pressure tuned & a DS60 front etalon & I do not regret it!

* also remember the LS60 is small & easy to setup.

I sold my tilt tuned LS60.

1. The sun in the LS60 stacked with DS60 is night & day different to the single stack LS60 - the amount of surface detail on offer cannot be compared! (that is what I "see")

2. I only view the sun with the DS60 attached - the single stack view is inferior

3. Proms are supposed to be less visible with the DS attached, I have never felt the need to remove it - the proms are plentiful and the detail excellent.

I am not an imager - so this never entered my thoughts as part of the equation

Hope this helps,

Alan

Thanks Alan, I like the idea of being able to change easily from DS to SS as I will be visual and imaging so nice to have the option, not sure how easy it is to swap the 80mm internal DS in and out.

According to Lunt the internal DS on the 80mm means it doesn't need an extra energy filter which is a good thing, don't know what that means ?

By the time I make my mind up and order it the summer will be gone lol

Dave

The external SM60 on an ED80 does it for me!

I've been using a second SM60 for double stacking and it makes a world of difference.....

I also find the external SM60 works VERY well with the PST mod as a double stack...

What more would you want.

Hi Alan, I was going for the F/Touch focuser but I see from your sig' you've fitted a Baader is there any advantage to this, also what eyepieces do you find best ?

Dave 

Baader steel track is 200, can carry my bino and 2x EPs

Lunt charge 400 for feather touch option

You save 200 :)

Steel track NT fits straight on, no adaptors needed

I prefer EP around 12mm, but do use 10 and 8 but these are seeing dependent. I have to use 1.6 gpc to get focus with the binos - that's why EPs in my sig are longer fl

Archived