sgl_imaging_challenge_2021_4.gif.6a323659519d12fc7cafc409440c9dbf.gif

Astronomik ProPlanet 742 IR-pass filter 1st light

taken with the usual C9.25/ASI120mm 2000 frames stacked around 700-800. lightly adj in photoshop.

1st is with the Pro planet 742, 2nd is the red channel of an rgb image. pretty pleased with the difference in sharpness, i think it even has a hint of encke gap. i think the filter could be very usefull for luminous channels and Venus, maybe moon and mercury as well.

post-5271-0-48521500-1400789434_thumb.pn  post-5271-0-45115700-1400789443_thumb.pn

Edited by bunnygod1
  • Like 3

Nice comparison Pete, I struggle with the PP on Saturn as it's almost to dim with my 200p. Perhaps the extra aperture on the 925 helps here? Great filter though and excellent results on Jupiter, Mars and lunar. Not tried myself on Venus, but seen some very promising results recently from NorrinRad.

typed on my mobile with Tapatalk

Nice comparison Pete, I struggle with the PP on Saturn as it's almost to dim with my 200p. Perhaps the extra aperture on the 925 helps here? Great filter though and excellent results on Jupiter, Mars and lunar. Not tried myself on Venus, but seen some very promising results recently from NorrinRad.

typed on my mobile with Tapatalk

i think the extra aperture is vital on the dimmer targets, also very much looking forward to giving Venus a go. i did buy the 807 by mistake as well, not sure what i am going to be using that for!

Yes, there is a noticeable difference in sharpness there Pete, I think you're right about the Enke gap too. well done :smiley:

Regards

Harvey

i had to use autostakkert as well which i am not too familiar with, this was due to some fool selecting SER files instead of AVI's half way through the night.

The filter makes a BIG difference in the sharpness of the image, it would be interesting to compare IrRGB, RRGB, LRGB & RGB.

James

done lots of RGB's never an LRGB that is going to be the next task to learn

Nice comparison Pete, your results are very similar to mine.  I found the 742 much sharper than the red on Saturn, but, strangely, on the few occasions that I used it on Mars I didn't see any difference.

Angie

Nice images Pete. The IR 742 really hepls when the seeing isn't the best. When the seeing is better the red should give a sharper result although the IR is still good for enhancing the polar hex I find.

Pete

i tried it on Mercury last night with Mercury just above the houses near me, very dificult imaging anything in that part of the sky. total non starter really, but nothing ventured nothing gained as the saying goes!

• 7 months later...

I've stumbled across the IR pass filters mentioned a few times. My interest is getting some sharper images of the Moon. My refractor is 127mm so would this be usable with a PGR blackfly ?

I see Baader do a 685  and I'm sure I came across something where Astronomik were making a lower pass. I'll try a red filter first as I have one but very interested in an IR pass filter, every little helps as they say.

I wonder if it will too much for my set up, I have red 23a & 25 to try tonight, I've also noted the Baader RG610.

As an after thought could I use one of these in conjunction with a modded 1100D for some basic HA capture, It's fitted with a CLS ccd, leave that in or out?

Just tossing ideas around my head