SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Dob mount decision

Tiki

I have an 8" f4.5 OO Europa currently mounted on a Vixen SP. The time has come for a dobsonian mount and all its conveniences. As a seasoned alt-az user I am fussy and would need something smooth and well balanced. Can anyone recommend a good usable off the shelf mount? How are DIY mounts in terms of smoothness versus build time?

Thanks in advance.

Well, I built a base out of 18mm plywood and with some suggestions from Moonshane and others, it is now really smooth. A base covered with vinyl tile from the pound shop rides on a triangular base with three teflon pads. After using it properly this week for tracking Saturn and Mars at high powers, it does a good job. Pushing it every so often obviously causes the worst effect, but it was always in the field of view, though may not return exactly to centre. Used an orthoscopic and had no problems with losing the image. If I track by moving it constantly you notice no real judder.

If you have the right tools, making a box and two boards don't take very long at all. Maybe a day or two. Then some sanding and varnishing, which will take a couple more days as it dries.

So for about £20 worth of plywood, a bolt and nut, a small bit of teflon or furniture pads and some vinyl, it is easily do-able.

I How are DIY mounts in terms of smoothness versus build time?Thanks in advance.

Not sure I understand what your asking here.

A home mount is only as good as you make it. Can't see where time is relevant, the cosmos isn't going anywhere.

Not sure I understand what your asking here.

A home mount is only as good as you make it. Can't see where time is relevant, the cosmos isn't going anywhere.

Unfortunately in my corner of the cosmos, there never seems to be quite enough time. I would therefore rather buy a good usable mount if it takes too long to make one.

Thanks for the replies.

Archived