Are the ES 14mm 82° that bad ?

cpper

Hello :)

I was going to buy this summer a Meade UWA 14mm 82° , which I read is superior to the ES version, by not suffering from so much field curvature.

Although, it seems no store have it in stock, and someone informed me it will not be available until September. This is a problem, because a friend of mine would have bought it from America, in July, when he visits the country.

So I consider to buy the ES version, if it's not that bad... I will use them in a 8" f/6 dob. So...should I buy it ? What's your opinion ? Is it that bad ? I will use it primarily for DSO's.

Or do you have another suggestion for something in the range 12mm-14mm at 82° (or higher) for under 150$ ?

I had the (older version) of the Meade Series 5000 14mm UWA and it was a very good eyepiece. I hear the mk2 version (later models) were not as good. I always understood the ES 14 82 deg EPs were very good indeed, so I doubt you will be disappointed. You could try to get a second-hand Nagler, but these are probably outside your budget. The 15mm Skywatcher Panorama and the 15mm Celestron Luminos are a bit of an unknown quantity, as is the Antares Speers-WALER 13.4mm.

I was the same as Michael, with the older version, be careful, the old one was about 179 quid the new is about 120 or so, there must be a difference as JOC no longer makes Meade eyepieces, I believe. If you can suffer the wider FOV and lower power the 16mm Nagler is under 200 pounds now and for that its a bargain, slightly cheaper is the WO 16mm UWAN.

The 13mm Nagler is a great eyepiece and will hold its value!

Alan. 

Well, I live in Romania, so I can't buy a second hand one, firstly because of the shipping costs and secondly there would be no way to try them out. Also, my budget is not expandable... :(

Fast newts will always be demanding on eyepieces and even the best of them will not eliminate coma so there will always be something in the FOV that could be considered a distraction and even more so if you look for it. I cannot comment on the Meade but I have the ES 14mm and can't fault it, OR should I say I don't look through an eyepiece for faults I only observe stellar objects with it.

My understanding is optically the ExSc 14mm is the same as the first Meade 14mm UWA. Meade had it on the market going back to 2008 that I know of and maybe even before that. I had mine from Christmas of that year. Now as far as I know JOC made both, and the ExSc has gas inside and maybe a different coating though I have never seen anything to say one was any better than the other.  Some say the ExSc is better, that is maybe, I have never seen evidence to back that. The Meade mk1 was a dam good eyepiece and if the ExSc is the same or maybe a bit better try and buy that, I'm sure you will be happy with it.

Alan

I also have the Es 82° 14mm, I also use it on my 8" f6 Dob, it is a good piece although not had much chance to use it on DSO's so cannot comment on its performance in that respect. Haven't experienced any field curvature with it or just not noticed it. Next session of good seeing I will try to criticise it and post a small review on here of its performance, maybe that will help in your decision, if it's not too late by then of course.

I have the ES82 14mm (among others) and was surprised to read the comments about field curvature. So I went looking for it and decided that either it's a non-issue or swamped by coma, etc.

To be honest, I find the slightly warm colour cast to be a more significant aberration (ironically thrown into relief by the much cheaper Maxvision 16mm SWA) and yet I don't feel remotely compelled to sell it. For what it delivers at the price (bought on sale from the US and landed inc taxes for about £88) you would have to spend A LOT more for an incremental improvement.

It's not the best 14mm UWA out there (but then nor is a Nagler - I'm thinking Nikon NAV-SW) but the important thing to realize is that there is nothing that comes close at the price and it is VERY nicely screwed together.

Russell

As Reeny said - it also seems that the ES 82 degree is out of stock everywhere... If neither of the 82's will be available when my friends is in America, what should I consider, under 150$ ? It seems I must give up on the 82 degrees, so I'll look at something with 68 degrees or higher aFOV.

This series would be in my price range :

Celestron Ultima LX

Baader Hyperion

Explore Scientific 68 degree

Orion Stratus

Explore Scientific 82 degree(if in stock)

Meade 5000 UWA 82 degree(if in stock)

With the aFov left aside, which would deliver the best(brightest) views ?

I have used 3 Hyperions and I was not over happy with them, it was as a result of the loan of them I didn't buy any, oddly going for the Meade 5000 series instead. Hyperions do have their fans on the site and in a slow scope they are fine but I saw softening of the edges at F7 and that is not that fast. I believe John also found them behaving in much the same way at F6, which is faster. I do not know what scope you have but if it is a fast one then expect some edge abberations or general softness of stars. The ExSc on the other hand is really at at a different level and of course costs more.

To answer questions with regard to contrast and transmission I would really like both eyepieces in a scope to compare which I do not have so would not like to comment.

Alan 

Thanks again Alan :)

I will use the EP in a 8" f/6 dob. The ES costs just 10$ more than the Hyperion. I would be happy if someone who has both could compare them for me :D.

Archived