Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Roll-off roof shed orientation

Is there any specific direction a shed should face or direction the roof should roll off? I want to make sure I haven't overlooked this item before I get too deep into prep work

Thanks!

Being that the majority of your targets have southerly aspects (of course theres some great ones north (M81/82) ), it is best to have the shed/roof rolling off to the north.That way, if it rolls over your warm room, any heat generated in there will have less chance of affecting your views.

and yes, Emad is right if he means the shed should face south

It all depends, but most will roll off to the North. If you have an obstruction (tree or house), then you could position the observatory roof to roll in that direction, leaving the rest of the views free.

When I constructed my roll off roof I made the rails longer so the roof was further away when open(although in truth I don't observe in the North direction due to light pollution).

Lee

my roof rolls to the east, mainly because it`s neaer a boundary fence and that`s all the options were to me really, but also if you think about it, most objects rise from the east so when it gets to the height best for viewing or imaging it has cleared the roof anyway

You're viewing will be better with South East to to South West views, as stars come up in the East and travel across the Southern sky line, so the roof would be better sliding to the North or West with a drop down panel so you can get a view to the Southern skies 

I guess it's fair to say that circumstances dictate. I suppose my origional post should have said "all things being equal with identical views and similar horisons through 360 deg, a north rolling roof is optimal unless of course you can roll it in more than one direction ;) "

My rolls off eastward towards some trees. Going northward would have meant a lot more digging! Main thing is south east thru north west are clear.

Dscf6822_1024_zps8eee8e3c.jpg

Now you're just showing off ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Now you're just showing off ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Agreed! Some things just aren't fair, are they ;-)

Looks fabulous, if a little chilly :/)

Stu

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed! Some things just aren't fair, are they ;-)

Looks fabulous, if a little chilly :/)

Stu

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wish we had some clear skies here a change - last five nights been rained off. Dark skies and a nice obsy are useless under cloud!!

Mine has the "dropdown" pointing SE - Notably convenient, for "terrestrial testing" too. Also because I've yet to completely iron out the  mismatch in GoTo, introduced by meridian flips! <cough>  :p

Sadly I'm slowly losing my southerly aspect to a neighbours hedge, rapidly turning tree-line! There is little prospect it will be pruned. Nice enough guy, but imagination (manual work?) is not really his strong suite. :o

Mine has the "dropdown" pointing SE - Notably convenient, for "terrestrial testing" too. Also because I've yet to completely iron out the  mismatch in GoTo, introduced by meridian flips! <cough>  :p

Sadly I'm slowly losing my southerly aspect to a neighbours hedge, rapidly turning tree-line! There is little prospect it will be pruned. Nice enough guy, but imagination (manual work?) is not really his strong suite. :o

Depending how important the view is, you prune it with his permission, or get in a Pro if he is unlikely to cough up some money even half then you pay or lose the view.....

Archived