SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Interesting picture

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Saturn with some movement artefact?

Did you get any other images of Saturn, and if so was the colouration similar?

I think it is unlikely you have made a revolutionary discovery, but you never know :)

Jd

I'd put my neck on the line and say it clearly is saturn :)

It looks oval to me, and there us a gap between the central bit and the outer limb....

I'd say it was saturn but out of focus, with movement artefact (whether it was you or poor tracking or poor seeing).

Jd

I have to agree it's Saturn, out of focus with motion blur & just disappearing out of the FOV.

It may be worth getting a camera bracket, or use a modified webcam, as this will give you better results.

Actually I did the same thing again today and thus time paid careful attention to where my scope was aimed. It was nowhere near Saturn like I thought. Lol. It was on a deep space object. :D first time I ever got decent photos of deep space objects like that :) note to self is pay more attention to where the scope is aimed.

Actually I did the same thing again today and thus time paid careful attention to where my scope was aimed. It was nowhere near Saturn like I thought. Lol. It was on a deep space object. :D first time I ever got decent photos of deep space objects like that :) note to self is pay more attention to where the scope is aimed.

If you don't know what it is then how can you claim it to be a DSO?

I would think that it's highly, highly, highly unlikely that you have caught a picture of a DSO through a f14 or f4.3 scope with a mobile phone camera. In fact, I'd go so far as to bet money on it. DSOs are, in the main, very faint and tend not to show up on exposures of very short length.

To me it looks like a reflection from within the scope that has it's edge cut off by the eyepiece.

Are there any bright lights in the vicinity of your viewing position? House lights, street lights, security lights?

Are you viewing through a window or double-glazing?

Is your scope even focused?

How are you aligning the scope? it's rare to hit on a DSO by chance. Much less so if you have done it a couple of nights running.

Where was your scope pointing at? The first post said you were in "the general area of Saturn", the later post said it was "nowhere near Saturn".

In short, I say that you are mistaken. What you appear to have captured (to me) is an internal reflection, either in the scope or between the eyepiece and the mobile phone camera. The images in the first post clearly look like an internal reflection or flare.

Flash is never on. And I'm careful to turn it off and have it set on HDR which increases the exposure time actually. I have tried it in the near impossible to see exhibits at the zoo where I work. (Nocturnal exhibit) and I'll just leave it at whatever it is I got a picture looks interesting. I know I'm still learning for the most part. I did get a picture of Saturn yesterday clearly out of focus but it did get windy on me. I did find my camera though that I can never get the flash to work on it at all and I'm starting out on the moon for that one.

And I am viewing outside not through a window, sometimes when I am looking through the scopes I lose track of where I am at in terms of viewing, last night I started out looking at Saturn then was drifting myself towards Polaris. I use my GoSkyWatch app to help me get back on track . Always in the night mode setting for that so my vision doesn't have to readjust too much.

"Drifting" from Saturn to Polaris is some "drift"!

I'm still unclear if this is a driven mount with GOTO or not.

Is the "drift" an intentional and deliberate manoeuvre, or something your set up is doing itself?

Jd

I'd have to agree that it's likely a reflection within the optical train.

I tried on a few occasions to take photos (lunar and planetary) with a phone through the eyepiece, its really not worth the effort. The reflections and glare are generally all you ever end up catching and on the rare occasion you get it lined up perfectly you'll end up with a tiny object in frame, like so....

post-34897-14009641314_thumb.jpg

Astrophotography is an art which requires serious skill, knowledge and equipment, none of which I posess so I stick to visual astrononomy :) (for now............ ;) )

Sent from my GTi9300 using random spelling mistake generator!!!!

A reflection of what? What ever the sensor has detected it is bright. It's not moon bright, but it's certainly brighter than any DSO as seen from someones back garden.

Had the original poster looked at saturn through the scope just prior to taking this image?

Jd

I'd have to agree that it's likely a reflection within the optical train.

I tried on a few occasions to take photos (lunar and planetary) with a phone through the eyepiece, its really not worth the effort. The reflections and glare are generally all you ever end up catching and on the rare occasion you get it lined up perfectly you'll end up with a tiny object in frame, like so....

attachicon.gifuploadfromtaptalk1400964130331.jpg

Astrophotography is an art which requires serious skill, knowledge and equipment, none of which I posess so I stick to visual astrononomy :) (for now............ ;) )

Sent from my GTi9300 using random spelling mistake generator!!!!

That's what I know Saturn to look like through my telescope perhaps a bit smaller depending on eyepiece but yeah that's what I usually see with viewing Saturn

Archived