Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_lunar_landings.thumb.jpg.b50378d0845690d8a03305a49923eb40.jpg

Uranium235

Pelican Rebooted (130pds)

I wasnt quite happy with my last go at this, the framing didnt seem quite right enough in order to join up with NGC7000 and so I decided to start again from scratch with 15min subs. I had one hour in which to put something together, and had to act quickly in order to avoid the soon to rise moon. The main test was to see whether the 130 with its newly tweaked focuser can deliver a field good enough to make mosaics from, yep... seems to be working now :)

By any means, its just a smash & grab effort (30min per pane), but it turned out nicely so I think a couple of hours per pane would fix this right up. I havent been quite able to get all the hot pixels, its pretty hard to stack when you only have two subs!

IC5070 + NGC7000

2x900 (Ha) x2 panes

130pds, Atik383L+, NEQ6

Setpoint: -15

Calib: Flats and Bias

Thanks for looking :)

Rob

14222200221_2397a00272_b.jpg

• Like 11

Looking good Rob - let's hope for some clear nights (no Moon) next week as well to get further data.

Martin

That's very nice framing, Rob.  I seem to be misunderstanding.  I presume that this is actually 4 subs in total? i.e. 2 x 2.   I was very impressed with your previous image, which I note was binned.  I presume this new one is unbinned and hence the longer exposures?  I have to say that you are producing some exceptionally fine images with your set-up.

Chris

cfpendock, on 20 May 2014 - 11:45 AM, said:

That's very nice framing, Rob.  I seem to be misunderstanding.  I presume that this is actually 4 subs in total? i.e. 2 x 2.   I was very impressed with your previous image, which I note was binned.  I presume this new one is unbinned and hence the longer exposures?  I have to say that you are producing some exceptionally fine images with your set-up.

Chris

Thanks Chris, yes this is 4 subs in total (two stacks of two). Trouble is, with just two subs you cant really use sigma clipping or SD mask to get rid of hot pixels - so I ended up using a kernel filter. This image is also binned (forgot to add that), but putting a mosaic together brings home the bigger picture - even though its at a reduced resolution (3.4" p/p).

The reason for 15min subs is to get the really dim stuff between the pelican and NGC7000 without any noise.

That is one amazing image. I really like the detail in the "cloudy" area on the right hand side of the image

That is one amazing image. I really like the detail in the "cloudy" area on the right hand side of the image

Yep, my fave bit too. It has a really "smokey" feel to it, and once it gets to a certain level of signal it almost takes on a 3d appearance. Im hoping for a clear slot later on to continue it, but its just going to be another smash and grab as its a weeknight. If it were a weekend I could have wrapped this up in one night!

I think with the 130 now operating at (or very close) to its best, it should make short work of those low summer targets.

Cheers Bryan, I did get more data last night (another 3x900 per pane) - so once Ive finished doing a bit of tidying up I'll process the data and post an update - give us a couple of hours and I'll have something.

Super image. You really get the best out of a 130.

keep at this one it looks so good, i love this object in the hubble pallet ;)

Ok peeps :)

Here is part 2 of 4, the second stage was to grab enough Ha to start killing off the noise - which it has done quite well. In fact, there is so much signal that the parts I thought  were devoid of Ha, actually has some! Looking at it, there arent many places that dont have any Ha. Part 3 of this project will be to finish off the Ha luminance layer with another 90min worth of data (taking it to 2hours per pane), before moving into the final act with the addition of OIII.

My only disappointment is NGC7000, its such a dull and featureless nebula (bar the wall), unlike its funkier neighbour :cool:  perhaps with further exposure I can find a bit of texture to play with.

5x900 (Ha) x2 Panes

14260025363_aaee8eef83_b.jpg

Fullsize here:

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5487/14260025363_7d3710faa5_o.jpg

• Like 2

That small Newtonian continues to impress!

There's no 'dark areas' in the region- it's alive with Ha emission clouds as my 450 second DSRL single sub also seems to show.
DSIR6840A_NOELS_CROP_1024_zpsd0781bfa.jp

Larger version.

Its that gap between NGC7000 and the Pelican that I thought was empty, probably because nothing turned up last time I covered that area. The only complication to picking up the dim stuff is that you need further exposure in order to keep it, otherwise it just brings noise to the image.

Looks like its going to be cloudy for ages though :(  one night over the bank holiday is all i ask!

• Like 1

Cheers! Im hoping to put this one to bed tomorrow night, which will be about another 90min in Ha, plus 120min of OIII, that should be enough to work with. Im going to aim for something along the lines of the Rosette colour scheme I did a while ago. I know there is a fair bit of OIII in this area, so it should work quite well (if not better) when the OIII data is pushed.

The data's excellent Rob, and as this image shows you are also among the best on this forum at processing as well. If ever time permits, I'd encourage you to consider making a few video tutorials on your processing methods. You've helped me several times in this area already, and I'm sure others as well - give the video's some thought.

Martin

The data's excellent Rob, and as this image shows you are also among the best on this forum at processing as well. If ever time permits, I'd encourage you to consider making a few video tutorials on your processing methods. You've helped me several times in this area already, and I'm sure others as well - give the video's some thought.

Martin

Too kind Martin :)

I wouldnt mind doing some vids at some point, but its all information ive picked up here over the years, stuff ive accidentally stumbled upon, or that rare nugget of information you sometimes get that can improve your processing routine. The 130 has helped in the speed department, as the 383L+ does like a faster telescope so I think the 130/383 is a good match - once you get over the focuser issue, and have done a fair bit of fiddling!

The only other person I know of to get this telescope to a good level (though I cant remember who it was) is probably the reason why I was attracted to it. He did something truly bonkers and stuck an ASA reducer on it - but the end result was staggering!..

Just done some trawling... here it is:

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/161159-veil-nebula/

:ohmy:  That veil is breathtaking.

Awesome isnt it? And I struggled to find a dodgy star in that image. But he also flagged up exactly the same issues as ive been having (focuser, tube etc...), so im not the only one who has had the fun of trying to get his hands inside a 5" tube! The ASA would be fun, but given the work ive had to do in order to get it to this point, I dont want to upset it all by chucking in another lump of heavy glass... oh my poor focuser!

Fantastic Rob, that's nailed it.

Your hard work tweaking and adjusting paid off in bucket loads..  :)

Thanks Guy, im just out now mopping up the last couple of Ha subs before moving on to OIII. Fingers crossed it will get done in one night!