Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_lunar_landings.thumb.jpg.b50378d0845690d8a03305a49923eb40.jpg

chiralchemist

M101 - well just about...

Thought I'd share this one with you. After spending the best part of 90 minutes messing around trying to image Mars (  :mad:  still no success...), and then trying somewhat optimistically to image with a cheap short tube (  :mad:  :mad:  :mad: ... don't even bother trying this), I returned to my trusty Sigma 105 lens and thought I'd at least have a go at trying to image M101 which was in a good position at approaching midnight.  Here's the result....

M101 Alkaid

Trust me when I say that about half way up the image, about a third of the way in from the left is a fuzzy patch that if blown up does have the appearance of spirals :laugh: . What I'm pleased with is acheiving 60 sec exposures (now my longest yet), and also having success getting the diffraction spikes on Alkaid (top right) using a lens hood with a bottom E-string of an acoustic guitar threaded through it.

With summer coming, I now see it's time to start saving the pennies for a short-tube, maybe a Williams Optics?

Once again, none of this would have started coming together if it were not for having a decent mount. Best advice for all newcomers - invest in this piece of kit first!

The WO scopes are good, particularly for colour correction in the case of the gt81. The skywatcher ed80 is supposed to be really good for the money.

You have done well M101 is a challenge at the best of times being quite faint.