SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Overview of my observatory with sliding roof located in Canoas, Brazil

astroavani

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's not an observatory - it's a work of art astroavani, the build quality is top class.  Very well done and what a lovely climate, you wouldn't want to swapp for Scotland would you!

Jim

I appreciate the kind comments !

Actually I built this observatory without haste and with all the affection over a year.

Its purpose is exclusively to obtain the Lunar and Planetary photography high resolution, then the whole project was designed for this goal .

Not amenable to observation and DSOs to capture because the place where you are and where my house has a very intense light pollution .

The wood used in the frame is called Cedar and used in flooring , doors and windows is called Angelin here in Brazil . Both woods are 1st class and in all stages of construction was used first-line material, including the floor being made ​​of porcelain and the central block with 800 pounds of concrete which relies Equatorial has a coating formed by a granite plaque .

All internal and external walls are painted with what we call here a transparent synthetic enamel used in order to emphasize the natural color of wood .

My mindset is that , despite the good stuff costly , it becomes cheaper over the years for not bringing problems .

Colleagues who wish more information just ask !

The wood used in the frames is a kind of cedar, originated from south america: http://www.woodworkerssource.com/online_show_wood.php?wood=Erisma%20uncinatum

The wood used to cover the obsy is Angelim, from south america too: http://www.woodworkerssource.com/online_show_wood.php?wood=Dinizia%20excelsa

These woods are very common here in Brazil, they are used to make window frames and roof support.

I have visited astroavani's observatory once, and I can say, he did a splendid job on it.

Everything is well built, with attention to every detail.

It is very impressive indeed!

Cheers 

Beautiful observatory and very lovingly built!  Well done!

Please make sure that the sliding roof is adequately clamped to the observatory framework because a strong wind can easily lift an unsecured roof (just like the lift on an aircraft wing) as I found out to my cost:

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/202911-my-observatory-has-no-roof/

I'm not the only person on this forum to have experienced roof lift-off.

Mark

Very true!  I'm another member of the lifted off roof club!  It will only lift off now taking the obsy, concrete blocks and a large chunk of garden with it! :D

You're right Gooseholla! But she came to toast and not look a gift horse in the teeth. I'll probably sell it because my focus is only lunar and planetary astrophotography, then a guidescope this size will not make me lack. In place of the eyepiece came a StarLight Xpress Loodestar color that will be sold too!

post-36599-0-22927200-1401668554_thumb.j

post-36599-0-97748500-1401668641_thumb.j

Archived