Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

200p sky - Barlow, Lens

I got a dob sky 200p with 25mm and 10mm. I forgot to look into the accessories before i purchased.

People seem to recommend a 8mm and 18mm lens additions. They mention BST, is that a make of lens?

What about barlows? I dont really know what they do.

Can you recommend a brand, site, and what types i should get for average viewing, basically a noob start up kit :)

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BST is a type of "eyepiece" or EP for short (used rather than lens for telescopes) there is a very good seller on eBay most use from this forum http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Skys-the-Limit-Astro-and-Optical they have excellent feedback and are a very good seller, a Barlow can also be used to double the magnification of your EP's 2x Barlow is recommended for UK users but if you have better viewing conditions than UK then you may have more options available

First welcome to SGL.

My general advice to people who just bought their first scope is that they should not rush out to buy any accessaries, it'll be much to play with the stock eyepieces for some times, even though these eyepieces are not the better ones, a beginner's eye is more often the weakest link in the whole optical train, e.g. there's beginers who can see the

Messier galaxies with their 10" even 12", with some finest eyepieces, even though these galaxies should be seen with 5" scope in backyard.

When you're ready to do some upgrage, buying used items will save you good amount of money,

http://www.astrobuysell.com/uk/propview.php

If you must buy a 18mm eyepiece, I can warm recommend Baader Classic Ortho(BCO) 18mm, it has good eye relief for glass-wearer, the optical performance is as good the eyepieces cost many hundred quids (these expensive eyepieces give wider feld of view 70-100 degree, comparing to BCO's 50 degree. I'm quite sure that you won't need to upgrade this eyepiece once you have one. I had BST 12mm and 8mm too, the difference to BCO are obvious. £49 for a top performance eyepiece is a bargain.

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/baader-planetarium/baader-classic-ortho-bco-eyepiece.html

I agree with Robin about the barlow. Barlows are usually used with mid-focal length eyepieces, somewhere between 10mm to 25mm, depending on the focal ratio of the scopes (yours is f6 I presume). Too strong barlow magnification will greatly reduce the number of eyepieces can be used with it.

That 18mm BCO with the Baader Classic Q 2.25 barlow would provide excellent optics and a great range of magnifications for you-67x,86 and 150x.The exit pupils will each be in line for specific uses.

My 18mm BCO rivals my 17mm Ethos (except FOV) and the view it provides on M42 is spectacular from a dark site.This EP is a keeper,even if you decide on acquiring other EP's.

A finder EP in the 24mm 82 deg range would also be an asset to you,with its nice big true field of view-makes manual dob's much easier to find things.All the best with your choice,lots of good stuff out there. :smiley:

I have 200p skywatcher sob, so I think i will get a 2x barlow from your advice guys and one more lens. But where to purchase barlow? I used FLO to the telescope.

I will either get 8mm or 18mm. Which will be better to start with?

Thae Baader Claasic Q 2.25 can be used to give 1.3x or 2.25x mag.Check it out on FLO website.Using it will give you 67x with 18mm,86x with 1.3x config and 150x with 2.25 config,all assuming 1200mm focal length.I can attest to the 18mm BCO's performance,it is a keeper and extremely cost effective.Lots of good EP's to choose from though.

I have 200p skywatcher sob, so I think i will get a 2x barlow from your advice guys and one more lens. But where to purchase barlow? I used FLO to the telescope.

I will either get 8mm or 18mm. Which will be better to start with?

I would get the 18mm and a 2x Barlow, this will Barlow down to 8mm which is close enough to the 8mm.  The 18mm BST is great in its own right, a lovely mid-range ep here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_trksid=p3984.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xbst+explorer&_nkw=bst+explorer&_sacat=0&_from=R40

BST 18mm is a good eyepiece, BCO (Baader Classic Ortho) 18mm is a clearly better choice than BST, for the SAME amount of money, and can be bought in FLO together with 2.25X QT barlow. 18mm BCO with 2.25x barlow gives you the combination equivallent to an 8mm eyepiece.

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/baader-planetarium/baader-classic-ortho-bco-eyepiece.html

I had the 8mm when I had my 200p..jupiter is fabulous through it! :icon_bounce:

In my honest opinion...................an 8mm EP and a 200mm scope is the perfect combo for observing the planets.

Except Mars. For that you need great "seeing" conditions.

I had the 8mm when I had my 200p..jupiter is fabulous through it! :icon_bounce:

If you compare 8mm BST with 18mm BCO barlowed with QT2.25x, you'll see the difference, which I did. :smiley: result? my BSTs (8mm and 12mm) found new homes.

• 1 month later...

If you compare 8mm BST with 18mm BCO barlowed with QT2.25x, you'll see the difference, which I did. :smiley: result? my BSTs (8mm and 12mm) found new homes.

What is the QT2.25x ? And what is its price?

I took suggestions of people on this board and have been getting use to the 25mm and 10mm that came with the 200p dob skywatcher, but I think im now ready to invest in more equipment.

So people recommend an 8mm, 18mm and a barlow... What what types? I will get the ACO 18mm from first light optics.

The QT 2.25 is a barlow from Baader,very versatile.I have the 18mm BCO and it is excellent.I am using it for solar right now.A good widefield would be a great investment too,say something like a 24mm ES 82 for you,great for nebula (filter friendly) and big clusters etc.It has a 33mm field stop which will give a nice 1.6 deg true field of view in your scope.

The QT 2.25 barlow can be used as a 1.3x mag or 2.25x mag,the 18mm BCO with the 1.3x barlow would give you a great galaxy combo.

Another choice is the 7-21 or 8-24 zoom EP. It's a variable EP, in that you can change the focal length in multiple stops. So you need only one EP instead of many. But for this advantage, quality is a bit compromised.

The QT 2.25 is a barlow from Baader,very versatile.I have the 18mm BCO and it is excellent.I am using it for solar right now.A good widefield would be a great investment too,say something like a 24mm ES 82 for you,great for nebula (filter friendly) and big clusters etc.It has a 33mm field stop which will give a nice 1.6 deg true field of view in your scope.

The QT 2.25 barlow can be used as a 1.3x mag or 2.25x mag,the 18mm BCO with the 1.3x barlow would give you a great galaxy combo.

Which is better for viewing planets and the moon... I have enough money for two new pieces of equip, so i must pick two from a x2.25 barlow, 18mm and 8mm.

Hi Davidswift9......... I would go for the 8mm and 18mm BST 'Starguider' Eyepieces. Thats exactly how I started out. The 8mm will blow away the 10mm EP 'SW Super'  The 18mm is better than the 25mm IMHO, however the 25mm is OK for the needs of that telescope.  I found that from a real dark site, I could not get  M31 Andromeda inside the field of view using the 25mm 'SW Super' so I ended up getting the skywatcher 32mm Panaview.  If you buy two or more EP`s from the retailer listed in an earlier thread, if you speak/text him, you will be able to try them out, and refund if you dont like? I would also consider a  Cheshire for setting up your telescope.

Which is better for viewing planets and the moon... I have enough money for two new pieces of equip, so i must pick two from a x2.25 barlow, 18mm and 8mm.

Well if you buy the QT 2.25 + 18mm you get 3 focal lengths 18mm,14mm,8mm and you can barlow your existing eyepieces and your 10mm/ 2.25=4.4mm which would give you a great 272x for the moon and planets under good conditions.http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/179125-baader-q-turret-225x-barlow/

That being said I like zooms myself and the Baader 8-24mm zoom might be great,I have not used one,but I hear good things about it,not sure how much it is.Maybe some others can share their zoom views.The previous zoom suggestion is a viable one for sure.

You can go higher mag on the moon and planets with your scope,it a matter of picking the best times to try.Another thing is your collimation,do you have a cheshire/sight tube combo...?how do you collimate?

Archived