SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

DIY Ascom Dome/Roof driver finally playing garage door opener

Feel a bit guilty that I've not posted anything about my diy obsy build, but have now got my garage door opener installed and my arduino based controller running.  Finally proved the setup by running it while I was away with work recently.

Only I could do something so backwards.  Out in the californian desert, 50 miles north of mojave, with perfect clear skies - and I'm remotely controlling a scope in lincolnshire, 8 hours ahead of me...

Took some time to learn how to speak arduino and ascom driver, but here's a link to to roof sliding open and the scope starting a scripted run:

http://www.youtube.com/embed/IudShtvqhvY

I hope the link works.

Please excuse the polythene sheet, my cats are 'making it their own'

Jack

I will try to put some info on my site Roger.  I did most of the build while I was in between jobs so to speak, but rushed the roof opener into service before I started going away with my new job.

The roof runs on sliding gate track and wheels, which are galvanized steel, but the wooden chassis I used to reinforce the shed absorbs any noise, so it is almost silent in operation.  The garage door opener is just a screwfix special, which I think was 180 quid.  Will get some pictures soon.

Jack

• 4 weeks later...

I will try to put some info on my site Roger.  I did most of the build while I was in between jobs so to speak, but rushed the roof opener into service before I started going away with my new job.

The roof runs on sliding gate track and wheels, which are galvanized steel, but the wooden chassis I used to reinforce the shed absorbs any noise, so it is almost silent in operation.  The garage door opener is just a screwfix special, which I think was 180 quid.  Will get some pictures soon.

Jack

Great write up on your site Jack regarding the EQ6 mod. Very informative and well written. :smiley:

Archived