Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Seeing Saturn for the first time!

Hi all,

I saw Saturn for the first time last night. It was truly amazing!

It looked almost fake actually lol

It was quite small so I was wondering if it will be closer to us at some point or if I should get a more magnified eyepiece?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm afraid it's all downhill from there. :tongue:

Saturn, that's about as good as it gets in a telescope.  I remember getting my wife out of bed at 0300 about twenty years ago, to look at it through a borrowed 3" zeiss refractor.  As mad as she was, she forgave me once she'd seen it.  'That's unbelievable' were her very words, 'like someones put a cartoon of saturn just in front of the telescope'.

Wouldn't try to wake her now, even for a bright (relatively) galaxy in an eyepiece.

I can't see what kit you've used, but more magnification normally means a softer image.  So not much point going beyond 150-200x in the uk, even with a posh scope. Maybe on a really still night.

Hope this helps,

Jack

You never forget your first Saturn, amazing sight!!

What eyepiece were you using and it what scope?

A higher power eyepiece or a Barlow with your existing one will increase the image scale but you have to be careful not to over do it as the image can deteriorate as you increase magnification depending on the atmosphere conditions.

Saturn stands out as a "Wow" moment in everyone's book when they first see it. It kind of does look "fake". The first time i saw it was with a small 90mm refractor and a 10mm EP. As small as it was, its was Saturn..............rings and all.

Ive just moved to a much darker location and ive seen Saturn high in the south after 11pm and to the naked eye it appears about 3-4 times brighter then ive ever seen it before. I just wish i had my scopes with me, but they are stored in a friends place for the moment.

Saturn is always amazing but sadly it will only get smaller until next year.

Magnification depends strongly on your current scope and also the 'seeing' without knowing what setup you have its difficult to recommend the next step

Thank you all for your comments. I have a Celestron Astromaster 70az refractor with a 20mm EP and a 10mm EP.

I'm just a beginner so it's not the most amazing setup :p

Viewed  Saturn and Jupiter for the first time tonight aswell - they look amazing and crisp .

I spent most time trying to capture something using my laptop & webcam -

Although  using my Dob for non moon viewing for the first time ,i found keeping the zippy planets in my sights while focusing

an image on the computer screen  quite a handful  lol

Saturn has a thick black border i guess this is a brightness or white balance issue ? i gave up fiddling with it to so i had a good peek at Jupiter and moons :)

i think i looked like a crazed Doc Brown from back to the future !!

I've been looking tonight also, nice and crisp, saturn had banding and cassini was clearly visable, its still a wow no matter what scope you are using or how many times you look, you are right it does look like a picture of saturn hung up in a black sky. try m13 even in a modest scope its a nice view.

Thank you all for your comments. I have a Celestron Astromaster 70az refractor with a 20mm EP and a 10mm EP.

I'm just a beginner so it's not the most amazing setup :p

Dont knock it, I have the same scope with a few extra eye pieces.

At the time I didn't know if I would take to astronomy so wasn't prepared to spend big on a 1st scope.

I will have 12 months in at this before I plan an upgrade although the upcoming exhibition will test this plan to the limit.

Saturn still looked stunning 1st time a saw it,couple of weeks ago.

I agree, you don't necessarily need an amazing setup to still see amazing sights out there. Being a beginner also has it's advantages in some respects as everything you look at is new & exciting. I saw Saturn for the first time myself only a few days ago & it's most definitely one of those unforgettable "wow" moments.

You guys that are getting your first view of Saturn and Jupiter remind me how it was my first time. The excitement of the major planets never leaves, I always look forward to the next time.

Good luck guys and enjoy.

Only thing above me for three weeks has been impenetrable cloud and mist.

Nevertheless, I take vicarious pleasure in reading of your joy. Ain't never seen nuffink when I tried to view Saturn.

But it will happen; I just know it will ...

Archived