thermal glue

m37

Can anyone recommend a method of fixing solar film to plastic? Want to make a solar filter for my dob and a plastic bin bottom is the perfect size. Planning to use an a4 sheet of film inside a 10 inch bin, aperture approx 8 inches.

I thought normal glue or tape might melt, possibly a ring of plastic to hold it in place but need some adhesive.

Cheers

I assume you mean Baader solar film?  If so then double sided sellotape works well.  For my own filter I used two rings of foamboard (from any artist suppliers) and hot glued one piece to the plastic ventilation adapter that I used.  The film then went onto the foamboard ring with double sided tape.  The second ring went on top of that with a couple of bits of DS tape to hold it.  The whole thing was finished off witha piece of Duck tapearound the circumference - this was snipped all the way round and the "tags" produced were folded over the top of the second ring.  This has now held together for nearly two years with no problems.

post-4502-0-20475300-1400440790_thumb.jp

Thanks guys. The June issue of Astronomy Now has a solar theme. They recommend not using solar film for safety reasons but I see no reason not to of I am careful with construction and inspect it before use.

After my imaging clear-out I have kept my DMK 21 so I plan to use a white light filter and a baader solar continuum filter for some basic solar imaging.

Cheers

Chris

Archived