SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Two nights in Elan Valley

houston

Just booked a cottage in mid wales for a week wednesday til friday, dark skies, no moon. (NO CLOUDS). The river wye runs past the back garden so will try a bit of fly fishing or spinning during the day. Done a bit of searching on here and elan valley seems a good place to go so hopefully skies will be clear.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2.5 hour drive from coventry. :( things to take: dob,eyepiece case, binos. fishing kit, wife, red torch, camera and tripod. 2 sunloungers. Food, beer, wine. Missing anything obvious? Long way to go to forgot something major. Only observe in backyard so never had my dob in the car.

Looking forward to it swamp thing, just hope the weather plays ball. Have an evostar 90mm which would be easier to transport but i know id regret it when im there. Its a 200p estwing.

Missing anything obvious?

Pack some midge repellent if you're prone to being bitten- there will be few hovering by the river banks. Should be good though- but not a lot of darkness this time of year 4-5 hours max. 

Not had the best of luck with the weather on breaks like this. Going to N. Ireland tomorrow to visit family and thought about going to a dark site to view this new meteor shower if it happens but forecast is terrible. So hopefully clear up next week.

Might clear up.....by Friday.

You can still asses the relative darkness of the area even if it's cloudy. My measure of real darkness is if you step outside at night and can't tell where the mountains stop and the cloud begins!

https://vimeo.com/21948151

Even with a lot of cloud around you could still do some night-time time lapse?

Archived