740427863_Terminatorchallenge.jpg.2f4cb93182b2ce715fac5aa75b0503c8.jpg

Opinions on the QHY5L-II

Alex, good luck with the book publish.

I too went for the colour - too lazy to mess around with filters.

I have to say I'm loving it, although the cloud Gods did have fun soon after I got it.

All I need to do is practice with the settings in Firecapture - steep learning curve (even though I mastered the SPC900).

Lee

• Like 1

Well, the QHY arrived today. Thanks to Modern Astronomy for such fast delivery!

Dinky little thing isn't it. It comes with a nice mini CD that has all the drivers and also things like EZPlanetary, Registax etc on it. Installed the drivers and it fired up no problem.

Just need a clear night now...

• Like 2

Well, the QHY arrived today. Thanks to Modern Astronomy for such fast delivery!

Dinky little thing isn't it. It comes with a nice mini CD that has all the drivers and also things like EZPlanetary, Registax etc on it. Installed the drivers and it fired up no problem.

Just need a clear night now...

Smaller and lighter than you think isnt it :) good luck with the clear skies, it must be you we have to blame for this severe weather warning :(

I've had one a while - I like it. The camera itself is great, I use it as a guider or as a planetary camera.

however the drivers are what let it down. Being windoze only and being a bit sketchy at times I've found this is the side that is a let down.

Still, it does work and it's a good price so for that I can recommend (with reservations above) - there's not a massive amount of choice in that area for that price so unless you want to spend a lot more, it's a pretty good buy...

Only issue with the QHY5 is it causes cloud cover..............Got mine last Friday and had 1 clear night so far

saying that tho i got mine and i had 2 days of very clear skies to test mine out on, i guided for the 1st time and got some nice subs of M13/M82/M81/Ring nebula so i cant reallly complain lol i just want a chance to do some planetary imaging now to see what this baby really can do as im not getting the full power of this baby just as a guider..........all be it ive all ways had numerous guide stars to pick from even from my light polluted garden with a full moon lol

Only issue with the QHY5 is it causes cloud cover..............Got mine last Friday and had 1 clear night so far

Lovely clear nights here on Crete. Only wish I could have bought my C8, CGEM & QHY5L II and gone up into the mountains for a couple of nights.

One thing I've noticed with mine is if I jack up the gain then I start seeing quite of a lot of white pixels with the cap on. At least 25.

Is this to be expected? I guess it doesn't matter much on planetary.

i can not believe you people dont want to take three times as many images, with three times the amount of processing, thus giving three times the amount of dissapointment :grin:  seriously though i know a few people using the QHY5 colour and they are getting some great results ! i look forward to seeing some of your images, cloud permitting!

Here's a TIFF of a dark frame. Gain was 500 with 500ms exposure. The white pixels are consistent between shots. It looks like a star field all by itself!

So are the white pixels stuck, or just due to the low level of excitation or some other factor of having no photons hitting the sensor?

oaCapture-20140522-195054.tiff

Any help/reassurance greatly appreciated!

Edited by mitchelln

Here's a TIFF of a dark frame. Gain was 500 with 500ms exposure. The white pixels are consistent between shots. It looks like a star field all by itself!

So are the white pixels stuck, or just due to the low level of excitation or some other factor of having the dust cap on?

attachicon.gifoaCapture-20140522-195054.tiff

i do see similar with my ASI with the gamma/gain high, wont they disappear when you stack your image? if you take another are they in the same places?

Yes they seem consistent. I had a play with EZPlanetary and it has the ability to take a stack of darks and then subtract and that removes them.

I don't mind the odd stuck pixels, if that is what they are, but dozens like this seems a bit of a problem to me.

Or am I being precious coming from my Canon 7D, which only has one stuck red subpixel in 18 million ;)

Edited by mitchelln

So are the white pixels stuck, or just due to the low level of excitation or some other factor of having no photons hitting the sensor?

attachicon.gifoaCapture-20140522-195054.tiff

Here you go, just done a quick snapshot for you to show you what mine looks like with the same settings.

0001.png

Probably, I've only used it once so I can't really say.

Just looked at the video captures and they don't look they are in the same place at they are in the snapshot above.

Gain is like I ISO on DSLR and it is temp dependant for noise.

If you check your cam in the fridge at 5c then take a dark the noise should be reduced.

@ hobsey that sounds like a hot pixel which stacking software will detect and remove. For guiding make sure you take a dark or don't select it as your star.