SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Looks like LED streetlights are coming

wxsatuser

Just had a booklet thru the door about new streetlights.

I assume these will be LED variety.

Looks like poles will be higher and they reckon fewer of them but I cannot see there will be less of them.

Praying hard they cannot be worse than the orange monsters.

Oh dear, it'll be living in a football stadium! Just kidding, some installations seem better than others. Higher poles aren't a good sign though......

I have the local football club across the road as it is, night is day when the lights are on.

Then there are two schools that seem to be floodlight best part of the night.

I suppose it won't make much difference.

Most of them are halogen and have much better reflector cut-offs. Unfortunately you can filter the old, single frequency sodium lights but not the new wideband ones ... but in general the reduction in light spill makes them an improvement.

AndyG

I don't suppose I am doing too badly. The local street lighting dept have fitted shields to the two closest  lights at my request. Following representations to the local school over their floodlights and a badly aimed security light, the latter has been adjusted to keep its light throw within their own curtilage, and the floodlights are timed to shut off at 21.00.

Polite approaches have worked wonders.

You know I find it very interesting that at a time where there is very clear scientific evidence (which can be presented in a way as to be understandable by the majority) showing that having too much light at night is in fact bad for human health, not to mention wildlife of both flora & fauna varities that people will still insist upon trying to make night into day.

It gets worse when LED streetlights are considered as the blue end of the spectrum is the worst for prevent the diurnal cycle which evolution has taken several billion years to decide that life requires, rather arrogant of humanity to decide in less than a century that we know better dont you think?    LEDs are worse btw, as the ones used smotly sit firmly in the blue end of the light spectrum.

Whatever happend to pocket torches? 

Are all these streetlights really needed?  I mean cars have headlights & are legally required to keep them fuctioning & to use them in the dark.

And everyone should remember that streetlights were not invented for safety, they were invented so that output from power stations wasnt just lost when the factories shut down for the day

Think I ought to stop now, i'm getting ranty about it :( :(

• 1 month later...

The new LED lights are now fitted and the local orange glow has gone. :grin:

I could see the Milkyway in Cygnus the other night, so thats a big change.

Only one higher pole is getting light to the obsy as it pokes up between the houses but it's not very bright.

Happy as things stand as it looks like a good change for me.

Did'nt notice any difference while imaging but still using the CLS clip as we get orange LP from the coastal towns.

You know I find it very interesting that at a time where there is very clear scientific evidence (which can be presented in a way as to be understandable by the majority) showing that having too much light at night is in fact bad for human health, not to mention wildlife of both flora & fauna varities that people will still insist upon trying to make night into day.

It gets worse when LED streetlights are considered as the blue end of the spectrum is the worst for prevent the diurnal cycle which evolution has taken several billion years to decide that life requires, rather arrogant of humanity to decide in less than a century that we know better dont you think?    LEDs are worse btw, as the ones used smotly sit firmly in the blue end of the light spectrum.

Whatever happend to pocket torches? 

Are all these streetlights really needed?  I mean cars have headlights & are legally required to keep them fuctioning & to use them in the dark.

And everyone should remember that streetlights were not invented for safety, they were invented so that output from power stations wasnt just lost when the factories shut down for the day

Think I ought to stop now, i'm getting ranty about it :( :(

The catch is that it is not just the one aspect of their impact on anyones health, an impact with a car tends to be very unhealthy, and people can be so damn bad on a road, yes pedestrians included. Drivers should not use a mobile and many times pedestrians should not either.

Even with car head lights on people in dark clothing have this tendency to walk out across a road in front of you. I am convinced their thought pattern is:- I can see their bright car headlights, they therefore must be able to see me in black clothing.

2 days back I was driving in broad daylight, carefully watching a bloke obviously wanting to get across. He was taking great consideration of the cars from his right, when a gap appeared, he was off rapidly across the road. The failure in all this was I was coming fom his left and he had not taken one iota of notice of any traffic on that half of the road. So he walked in front of me as I hit the brakes - equally I could see 5 seconds before what was going to occur so was somewhat prepared. That was in daylight.

Another aspect is that when these LED lights first appeared people here were very keen on them being installed everywhere, if you said they were not quite the answer to everything you more or less got shouted down and told how little you knew or appreciated. Strange that now they are very often considered a backward step. As I recall FLO were on of the people saying they would be a problem.

I often wonder if the person, about 2 years back, that posted the link to the report that Sheffield intended to replace all their lights with LED ones and was saying "Yippee this will be great" is still of the same opinion.

Archived