Who uses a reflector on a giro?

I'm wondering if anyone on here prefers to use their 6, 8 or 10" reflector in a standing position, on a giro or sky tee type mount?

I found sitting with my old auto dob a bit of a pain, needing a stool. It was however a stable setup.

I also found the base awkward of carry.

What's your experiences?

Many thanks

Chris

I used a f6 300mm newt on an AYODigi mount a few times. I actually wasn't too bad. The main flex came from the rings and tube, the mount itself was very smooth & solid. Even on a short pier it was too high at the zenith though, needed some steps! I have now switched to a dob base and it is far more stable.

Stu

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used to have my OO 10" F/4.8 on a Giro-type mount and it worked pretty well. It got the eyepiece to the height I like (I prefer to stand when observing) and the motions were smooth with a counterweight on the opposite arm of the mount. At really high magnifications I think the traditional dob mount is a little steadier though.

My outfit is rock steady btw, I though 10 inch might be a little much. I had straight choice between a SW. 10 Newton or a 8 inch OO , I went for the VX8L

Thats a great combination I should think. The OO newts lend themselves to this mounting approach I reckon because they are somewhat lighter than their Chinese counterparts.

My outfit is rock steady btw, I though 10 inch might be a little much. I had straight choice between a SW. 10 Newton or a 8 inch OO , I went for the VX8L

Just been looking at your scope on the 00 website, wow. I see why you like your setup so much!

I used to have my OO 10" F/4.8 on a Giro-type mount and it worked pretty well. It got the eyepiece to the height I like (I prefer to stand when observing) and the motions were smooth with a counterweight on the opposite arm of the mount. At really high magnifications I think the traditional dob mount is a little steadier though.

That is a big scope, I'm amazed how good the giro type mounts perform. Out of interest what would you say is your max magnification that's rock steady?

Many thanks

Chris

That is a big scope, I'm amazed how good the giro type mounts perform. Out of interest what would you say is your max magnification that's rock steady?

Many thanks

Chris

Rock steady ? - 200x perhaps. I used to use anti-vibration pads to with the mount to help dampen any shakes.

A little over a year ago I sold the scope though and bought a 12" F/5.3 OO and I've put that on a custom dobsonian mount. Thats good for 400x or more.

I don't have a Giro, but I don't see why it wouldn't work with the right Newtonian.  I use an Orion (U.S.) 8" f/4.9 OTA on an Unistar Mount attached to a Universal Astronomics Heavy-Duty Wood Surveyor's Tripod.  It works fine.  Comfortable seating height when scanning along the horizons, and I simply stand when looking at something overhead.  Most powers I care to use (<400X) have dampening times of 3 seconds or less on hard ground, and a bit better on grass.

Clear Skies,

Phil

Archived