Choosing Eyepieces is like choosing a good wine

You could get that cheap vino (your low standard MA'S or SR'S) which doesn't taste too good with any dish, or splash out on some fine Grand Cru cote de Nuits! But watch out for that mid range vino, as what tastes good with fish may not serve the palette so well with chicken!!

Just thought I'd share that strange comparison with you!!

And like wine you can get dragged into all the minor things that may not actually appeal.

Ultimately with a wine you want something that is pleasant to drink.

The Aussies proved that, they made a wine that you just sat down with and drank it.

Depth, age, character all went and it was Is it enjoyable to drink.

Eyepieces are the same, you want one that is pleasant to look through and delivers a pleasing result.

With both there are I fear "Overbearing aromas of pretentious rubbish!"

As Mr Glenister remarks.

The Aussies proved that, they made a wine that you just sat down with and drank it.

They might have served up some perfectly palatable plonk, but they certainly didn't prove that to anybody with taste buds. :p

On the plus side, they did make de-glazing your pans cheaper.

Russell

Sorry Russell I am going to disagree, the Australians make some very fine wine that can easily be considered as good as a Meade SWA's or maybe even UWA's. When last in Sydney in a rather posh hotel I even drank a Televue Plossl or maybe even a Radian that was on a parr with some of France's Nagler offerings.  The other thing is it can almost be considered a bit Maxvision because you are getting quality at a much cheaper price.

Your round.

Alan

Alan, in an interesting twist - Last night I drank a Romanian wine that quite delighted in it's depth and complexity, combined with longevity on the palette with really nice peppery overtones. The other wine snobs I was quaffing with, admitted to being equally surprized. The fact that we were listening to some really nice jazz on a very expensive system may have helped the mood, but we're fussy and not easily duped.

None of us have been that impressed by Aussie wine and indeed, when I ate at The Rockpool in Sydney, all of the wines recommended by the Sommelier were French. To be fair, she was recommending on the basis of dish accompaniment, it was eight years ago and had they had burgers on the menu, it may have been different.... <ducks and runs for cover> :p

Russell

PS. I love my rugby. I cannot and will not admit (publicy) to Aussie accomplishment. Can't be done.

Russell,

Interesting, may be you have a TeleVue taste when it comes to wine, Bulgaria make some jolly good stuff as well, not quite TV but without doubt knocking on the box.

I am trying to include eyepieces but this is difficult.  I was ina high class place in Sofia where some guys ordered a bottle of some 1964 wine, spent an hour looking at it a smelling it then tried to send it back. I think they expected Zeiss Zo II and got Skywatcher stock 10mm.

BTW I think that was one of the places I have been in Sydney, if not it was like that name, expensive, not that I was paying.

Alan.

Archived